New recording technique ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First look... well what's the issue with off axis ? -good- singer can have momentary move for dynamic handling or whatever pop or ssshhhfffff managing
Second look... the mic is inverted... great they use omni and select the better side of the capsule for the job
Third look ....H..S... the mic is in cardio :ROFLMAO:

Fift... so what ?!? maybe its on purpose for backing or indirect sound / room FX.
I can't count the number of time where I placed a mic to have no direct path to the sound source

Cheers
Zam
Sure, if it works, it works. On the other hand there's a video, and it doesn't sound good. However it's Lady Gaga so no one cares, especially if it's a live instagram video or something...

The Irish singer Sinéad O Connor developed a tendency to move off the mic axis in recent years in live performances , I'd imagine it would drive anyone trying to produce her in studio bonkers . She came from a reasonably well off backround , but life wasnt easy for her , she lost her son to suicide recently , I think she's more or less retired from the music for the moment , hopefully she picks up the pieces again .

Placing the microphone above the nose, pointed down, gives a fuller, more "chesty" sound.
Placing the microphone at or below the nose, pointer straight or up, produces a thinner, more nasal sound.

Possibly this is a differential setup...some variation of out of phase...old concert of Free has out of phase 57s to eliminate feedback drom brutally loud monitors...this could well be to gain phase cancelation advantages....I like the ,backup mic opinion. Nice looking Neumann work horse and old ulster 414...guy is stylin....

I scanned a few of the diagrams from the spoken word chapter in sound recording practice ,
hopefully there wont be any needless complaints from self appointed do gooders ,
If any issue with the publishers arrises ,I will of course remove the content straight away .

Attachments

• acoutically transparent table.JPG
    acoutically transparent table.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Mono drama set up.JPG
    Mono drama set up.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 0
  • mic balance.JPG
    mic balance.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back