New Sony C-100 ECM-100 microphones

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Seems like awesome concept. Anyone else wonder what's inside of that LDC? It has externally polarized, and electret capsule at the same time. I am huge fan of anything with Sony logo on it, no matter what product it is. Amazing company.

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-wiredmics/product-C100/

However i am maybe even more excited about this sdc electret, as i hope it might be something with reasonable price.

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/assetDownloadController/ECM-100N_OI_011518.pdf?path=Asset%20Hierarchy$Professional$SEL-yf-generic-153707$SEL-yf-generic-153750SEL-asset-715697.pdf&id=StepID$SEL-asset-715697$original&dimension=original

I don't buy this >20.000hz thing 100%, but i can not say either there might not be some way our bodies can react or sense such high frequencies, or the way they interact with audible range.

Not that anytime soon we can expect mainstream music created and reproduced this way, but we have converters that can record this, so i would love to try these two LDC on stuff with rich high end content.

Anyone have ideas about DIY project like this?

Would love to compare Sony’s new ECM-100N to Sanken’s CO-100K... Same goes for comparing Sony’s new C-100 to Sanken’s CU-41, 44, 51.

Interesting that they’re both Japanese companies and Sony is starting to go down the same path as Sanken.

Well i don't like this peak at 50.000hz LOL!

This is sick.
http://www.sanken-mic.com/en/product/freqpola.cfm/3.1000400

I never was a fan of any sony equipment, except C37, C38.
The new one looks pretty nice - truly like the body  designs
Anyway - double capsules microphones are not my thing.
Phase, phase, phase...
50 kilo-hurts - what for? Because microphone technology is pretty old, so this is innovative?

Genuine question... Would a well-designed 2-capsule microphone have any more phase-issues than a well-designed two-speaker monitor?

Also, it seems a quick unscientific test would be easy-enough to see if HF extension well beyond our hearing is worth a consideration, by recording with one of these “extension” mics (don’t forget about Earthworks QTC-30, 40, 50) and then use a low-pass filter at 20k or higher with a plug-in.

Recording Engineer said:
Genuine question... Would a well-designed 2-capsule microphone have any more phase-issues than a well-designed two-speaker monitor?

Also, it seems a quick unscientific test would be easy-enough to see if HF extension well beyond our hearing is worth a consideration, by recording with one of these “extension” mics (don’t forget about Earthworks QTC-30, 40, 50) and then use a low-pass filter at 20k or higher with a plug-in.

Yes, becuase there'sa huge difference between recording and playback ;)
Normal phase issues from ugly designed microphone circuits are audible on the speakers with their own phase issues - it don't exclude anything ;)
That's why i love concentric speakers :D

Above 20k? I gueess it's similar to extra "hyper tweeters" in some speaker designs. Not worth anything unless you need to measure ultrasonic range :D
Most of other gear in the chain have limited bandwith pretty well - preamps, ac/ca converters etc.
Look for many opamp based preamps as example - how the HF range is filtered above 20k.

Not really sure that answer my question, but OK?  ???

I love the idea of concentric speakers, just haven’t found any I’m absolutely in love with yet; though I haven’t heard all that many.

While obviously phase-issues should always be a major concern, people can certainly weird-out about them...Concentric speakers only, 1-4 mics max on a drum kit.

I’d imagine, just like everything, there’s great, good, fair, mediocre, and bad designs in dealing with phase that could be applied to 2-speaker or more monitors, concentric monitors, 2-capsule or more microphones, and single-capsule microphones.

By the way, there are also a number of op amp and transistor based preamps out there that filter well above 20k, more like 40k-60k, some even above 100k.

Back