New to DIY and electrical engineering

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomu

Hi guys,

I hope this is the right place to post this, so apologies in advance if it is not.

I’ve recently stumbled across this world and the possibilities of DIY projects for home studio gear, and I’m really interested in learning more to the point where I can understand what is going on in the circuitry and components so that I might be able to design my own 500 series modules, or at least be able to understand fully what is going on in harder DIY projects.

Are the books pinned to the top of this forum section a good place to start? Or is there other advice for ultra beginners that someone might impart?

My first projects are going to be some DIYRE modules, after practicing soldering on some cheap projects from Amazon. But I want to understand the fundamentals so that I can tackle the harder projects that involve schematics and identifying components without any hand holding from the manufacturer, so again, any advice would be most welcome! :)

All the best!

Hey guys, thanks so much for your replies. I had a look at the pinned posts in other sections after posting this and felt a bit daft I must say. Lots of great stuff to be getting through indeed. Very excited to dive in and start learning!

I’ve been thinking about documenting the process from complete noob onwards on YouTube for science. Any thoughts on this?

I’ve been thinking about documenting the process from complete noob onwards on YouTube for science. Any thoughts on this?
Hello Tomu,

we are all for documenting progress. We have been playtesting some filming of our own with mixed success.
Regardless of what you decide, learning electronics can take up most of your thinking time. At least for me it has. It can actually be infuriating... I just can't stop pondering!

As a somewhat experienced film director with most all the filmmaking toys taking on learning electronic audio as well as filming was WAY too much.
The advice from a lunatic is... get a few builds under your belt, then think about how you want to caputre it. This way you will have your workbench set up and know where your workflow is. Imporant to think about.

Be well,

Wall

Hi guys,

I hope this is the right place to post this, so apologies in advance if it is not.
perhaps the brewery for open ended wide ranging musings.
I’ve recently stumbled across this world and the possibilities of DIY projects for home studio gear, and I’m really interested in learning more to the point where I can understand what is going on in the circuitry and components so that I might be able to design my own 500 series modules, or at least be able to understand fully what is going on in harder DIY projects.
There is fairly large difference between vague understanding of how a circuit works and proficiency to generate scratch original design. Many here have decades invested in gaining such proficiency. There are university level courses in electronic theory, and entry level technician jobs to gain hands on experience.
Are the books pinned to the top of this forum section a good place to start?
yes
Or is there other advice for ultra beginners that someone might impart?
Just do it, but feel free to draw upon the accumulated experience of forum members here by asking specific questions when you encounter something you don't understand.
My first projects are going to be some DIYRE modules, after practicing soldering on some cheap projects from Amazon. But I want to understand the fundamentals so that I can tackle the harder projects that involve schematics and identifying components without any hand holding from the manufacturer, so again, any advice would be most welcome! :)

All the best!
Good luck, when I was just starting out I devoured every schematic I get my hands on and tried to understand why the designers did what they did. I also dug into repairing broken stuff, often without schematics.

JR

JR

Latest posts

Back