New WIMA SMD -PET capacitors for audio?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyTurtle

Hi,
After checking my usual supplier I´ve seen WIMA has released SMD capacitors that seem to fit pro-audio applications for both decoupling and/or filtering.

You can check them here:
https://www.wima.de/en/our-product-range/smd-capacitors/

I find this a very handy option when having little space and I would like to know how they compare to the typical through hole ones, has anyone tried them?

Thanks

Cyril Bateman briefly mentions less common dielectrics like PET and PPS in his analysis of capacitors for audio. (Do a search on his name along with “capacitors”; there are multiple downloads in that series).

It’s been a while, but I recall that he found that PET isn’t much better than polyester for audio. However, he states that PPS (polyphenylene sulfide) is promising. Memory is hazy but i’m sure about the last part at least. Not sure if PPS is available in SMD though.

PPS is available in SMD,  and is the preferred choice for signal path over PET imo. Both of these are rather large though,  which could be an issue if looking to minimize size.  C0G should also be considered as they pack more capacitance per volume and have excellent performance.

Latest posts

Back