Newbie Advice Please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kungfugeek

Hello All,

What an awsome site full of great info! I want to break into the DYI world. I'd like to be able to rack old pre modules, build comps out of raw materials, etc. I think I am goign to start slow and build a SCA N72 first. My question is this...

Tools! Can someone tell me what to look for? What I need to get? As it stands I have a crappy radio shack iron, and a nice Fluke 87 DMM. I'm guessing I'll need a bench power supply, scope, and signal generator, and a better iron at least?

Can someone recommend some good models and spces of these that would be affordable? Maybe some sources?

Thanks!
KFG

Start with metal working tools first, like chassis punches, step drills, nibblers, files, drill motors and bits.
You don't really need a fancy bench if your just knocking off clones.
If they work, they work.
If the iron works, you don't need a fancy one, as long as the tip is small enough for the work you do.

You might want to get some organizer drawers for resistors and caps and start scrounging around surplus stores for some stock. That way you don't have to order from Mouser every time you need a 1k 1/4 watt resistor.
Tubes and transformers are nice to have also.

A heat gun is good for heat shrink tubing and other things, like taking apart..... well never mind!
A lot of projects involve vacuum tubes, so a power supply for tubes really isn't necesary or common.

A scope would be nice, and you don't need 1000 gigahertz speed.
just 20 to 20 k.

Thx!

What size tip should I be using on PCB stuff? I have a pretty large variety of hand tools already, including some metal working stuff. Where can I get a scope that will "get me by"? I don't intend to pay 40k for one :) Is used a good choice? Even if I don't know what to look for?

Thanks!
KFG

DECENT soldering iron (Radio Shack's better iron with screw-in elements, not that $1 chrome-plated plastic toy they sell for $10). And of course proper solder; Radio Shack's basic thin rosin/flux-core solder (no silver, nothing exotic) is adequate.

Good wire cutters. (I use a lot of what RS used to sell for $4.)

Narrow-nose pliers.

A voltmeter is very nice. The $20 digi-meters are great for 98% of needs. When that won't work (high frequency AC, measuring the ohms of a choke), find a genny 1960s Vacuum Tube VoltMeter on eBay.

All else is optional, and you will acquire it when you feel it is worth it. I don't even own punches, rarely have a healthy file handy. First get it working, then make it pretty.

I canonly offer advice from a six month newbie - I have bought a lot of tools and some of them are rubbish and I have had to buy some replacements...
So if I had my chance again this is what I would buy...

Small Screw screwdrivers
Big Screwdrivers
Good soldering iron with stand and sponge
Soldering Iron Tip cleaner
Good De soldering Pump - the cheapo ones loose their vacuum within a session (annoying to have to take it apart half way through a session)
Some sort of table clamp or extra hands things when you need to solder two things which won't stay rigid together
Digital Multimeter - with a capacitor checker (unfortunately you can't get them to check big capacitor values - like in Power supplies)
A selection of Crimps and a Cable Crimper (for attaching leads to IEC inlets and mains on/off switches)
Some sort of cable grips to keep the thing nice and tidy and attach them to the chassis
PCB Screw terminals - many sizes here - check the PCB to find out which width to get and whether to get singles, doubles, triple - but do not choose the angle type ones as I always find them a pain
Hard Toothbrush - to brush the flux of the PCB when your soldering skills are getting up to scratch
A selection of bolts, nuts, self tapping screws, washers - M3 and above (I find I use M3 an awful lot)
Needle nose pliers for bending component legs
Wire snippers - proper small ones - to snip the ends of the components after soldering
Wire stripper
PCB mounting thingies... to keep the PCB of the chassis - I use hexagonal brass spacer type things that take a M3 screw/bolt

Bench Press - used for drilling holes in the PCBs and holes in the Chassis (alternative is a hand held drill - this is good for PCB work but you will struggle with the metalwork)
A selection of small drill bits for the PCB - I use 1.00mm up to 10mm
Hole Cutters for the Bench Press - HSS ones - medium to smallish sizes - check the sizes of your XLR conenctors, pots on the front and try and get the sizes about the same - slightly under than slightly over
Abrafile type half round to make the holes bigger and to make shortish work of your hole you ccut for the IEC inlet
Small needle files to make smaller holes slightly larger

That's all I can think of now....

Simon

Must get yourself a pair of goggles and have them on when when desoldering and ripping out components, would be better to have a industrial face mask to block out all the soldering fumes! (cheaper solution than ventilation fans plus you also get face protection at no extra cost! :shock: :green: )

[quote author="Learner"]Must get yourself a pair of goggles and have them on when when desoldering and ripping out components, would be better to have a industrial face mask to block out all the soldering fumes! (cheaper solution than ventilation fans plus you also get face protection at no extra cost! :shock: :green: )[/quote]

I can't stress enough how important this is - seems like a good moment to post this picture of my eye again....

SolderMyEye.jpg

A true RMS multimeter is indispensible for calibrating audio equipment, and a good assortment of clamp and hook type probes.

If you haven't enough money for an audio signal generator, you can download several free and shareware audio signal generators for Mac and PC, such as "Make a test tone", and then make a set of 16bit 44.1k stereo interleaved tones and sweeps, burn them onto CD, and you have an instant test tone generator. Use your true RMS meter across the output of the CD, set your level and off you go.

Wow, great info guys, thanks a ton!

Here is the DMM I have, I'm hoping it has all the features that I will be needing? http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scripts/product/3410-0145

Where can I find a press? What should I expect to pay?
What kind of cable crimps do I need?
What size soldering Iron tips do I need?
What is a soldering Iron Tip cleaner?

Thanks!
KFG

Jesus wept that's a high price Fluke... one of the other guys may comment better - but my cost less than £10 (I have had a few problems though...)

Soldering Tip Cleaner - is good for us newbies as it cleans, wets and "tins" the tip for us and keeps it nice and shiny - until we know how to look after our soldering irons

Costs a couple of quid..
3929i0.jpg

Bench Presses - mine cost £30 from Machine Mart - look for the term Bench Drill, Drill Press etc...
It's exactly this one and it does the job...

MM060710005.jpg

Crimps.. just buy a selection of insulated and none insululated crimps
Something like this... cost about £5 for eveything in the picture
Use this to connect cables to mains inlets etc... (I use the blue spade ones which have an insultaed top so you don't see any metal)
When you play around with the terminals you will know which ones you need most often - go and buy a bulk pack of those...

MM040213040C.jpg

Back