Newbie capacitor question for 1176

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songguy

Hi all,
I have been reading these forums for sometime now and have a question that I'm having trouble answeringfor.
I haven purchased a 1176 rev f from hairball recently. The BOM has wima caps that I can't find or wont be available for 5 months or so.
I need to find:
Wima mks2 .022/100v/10% polyester film caps and
Wima mks2  1uf/100v/5% polyester film

I know there are some other manufactures out there but I don't know how their caps might sound by comparison to the wima's. Any suggestions or leads on wimas or very good substitution would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,
Chris

Ps this is my first DIY of any real complexity. Im thinking about doing a step by step thread for people to chime in on.

i usually dont bother with specific wima etc... just use whatever you can find, and start using your 1176...
it aint gonna be day_night difference...

You can try and see if your shop has Wimas with a different Volt-rating or with different percent-rating. If you find some with larger Volt-rating just check so they will fit the pcb.

Henrik

Bonke said:
You can try and see if your shop has Wimas with a different Volt-rating or with different percent-rating. If you find some with larger Volt-rating just check so they will fit the pcb.

Im familiar with looking for the higher volt/% rating. I have concerns about pcb room.

I'm leaning towards vishay brand..Unless someone has another suggestion.

For size and spacing check the cap´s datasheet.
Try another brand, it is not going to be a super big difference.

henrik

Where are you getting em from?
You can just go ahead and get a different voltage rating.... you don't need 100v caps for the 1176

If from mouser:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/WIMA/MKS02-022-63-10/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvOcEq4GH1AApuPWrnljkC8YDApw7ydrBo%3d
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/WIMA/MKS4-1-63-10-PCM10/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvOcEq4GH1AAuVhNJwGnDr%252bTfbCHZTXgFg%3d

Just make sure the caps you get will fit... the 1uf has a 10mm lead spacing

cheers,
dave

What Dave said.

There were originally some caps that were 50-60V and mouser ran out, then had a long lead time.  I bumped them up to in-stock 100V because the size and lead spacing was still ok.  You can go back and see if the lesser voltages are back in stock.

Mike

Ordered!
Can't thank you guys enough. This project has me excited and a bit nervous at the same time. Ill keep you posted on the build. I'm going to keep a photo and topic chronology of the build. Should be good for other noobs, seeing what to do ( and what not to do).
c

Latest posts

Back