Next H3000 issue: subtle glitches on some patches. A few leads...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapfoot

Once I got the trash-picked H3000 up and running again, I thought it was fixed. Then the other day I dialed up the "Dual H910s" patched and noticed some strange behaviors. Ran a 1k tone in just to see what was going on, and it made the glitches more apparent.

Here's what it's doing:

Looking through the service manual, something in particular caught my eye:

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 9.21.06 AM.png

And here is the schematic of that area:

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 9.25.48 AM.png

I did notice that R150 is specified 8k8 on the schematic, but the actual value in the unit is 8k2. This appears factory, so I doubt it's the problem, but worth noting.

I'm not sure whether I'm even looking in the right area. I have a somewhat old and primitive oscilloscope (Protek P-3502C, 20MHz) and I crudely probed around various ICs trying to find data bus lines and anything that looked amiss. Honestly, I'm not sure I was even qualified to know what I was looking at.

But I will say the machine appears to behave entirely normally except for these weird glitches on output on only some patches.

I'd appreciate any leads. I'd love to fix it myself.

I suppose I could just start replacing things, beginning with that 8k2 resistor and maybe U193, but something tells me that more intelligent, targeted troubleshooting might be a better idea on a machine with relatively-fragile PCB traces and a lot of non-socketed ICs.

What happens if you set the device to the basic setting decribed in the service manual: program 102, pitch shift 1.0 on both channels, delay parameters both to zero?

I finally managed to get a hold of the H3000 self test, if you have a prommer this might be helpful.
Super helpful! I don't have a prommer, but it seems like a cheap one is about 14 bucks on Amazon?

I'll perform the test you mentioned now

What happens if you set the device to the basic setting decribed in the service manual: program 102, pitch shift 1.0 on both channels, delay parameters both to zero?

Completely clean and glitch-free. Both with the patch defaults loaded, and with the pitch shift and delay parameters set as above.

Is this a clue?

It might be normal behaviour. I think mine does this, too. I will check if it is truly ok once I got the eproms, too.

A cheap chinese prommer might not cut it (but I don't know, I've asked someone with a pro level prommer to burn it for me). Also read the attached pdf, depending on your jumper settings either 512 kb or 1MB eproms are required.

I finally managed to get a hold of the H3000 self test, if you have a prommer this might be helpful.
This is amazing! Thanks for the ROM image!!!

Hm, interesting point!

Several vendors seem to sell the H3500 EPROMs with no apparent issue.

Could it be considered abandonware at this point? Eventide no longer supports the H3000.

Back