NOS Donor Mic Badge Removal

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buddy of mine got multicoloured enamel badges made up to his own spec some time back , its not that expensive .
As far as removing one attached with epoxy , gently tap a blade in underneath it , then pick/scrape off any residual glue left behind .

Epoxy softens with heat, even J-B Weld - though that stuff has a higher Tg (Glass Transition temp - the point where cured Epoxy transitions from being rigid to rubbery) than most epoxies. J-B likes to say they can withstand up to 550 ℉, and that may be about where the Tg temperature is; they don't exactly publish full specs like an engineering adhesive.

Additionally, Acetone usually attacks cured epoxy, if allowed to soak for 30-60 minutes (along with a lot of other things - including nearly any other finish the body may have).

Those two methods - heat & acetone - are two of the general methods to remove cured Epoxy. That is, of course, if it really is Epoxy.

It may be Polyester resin, which is often used because it's almost as good and cheaper than epoxy. - Acetone will dissolve that too... And nitrile gloves. I seem to recall it shoots through latex with few problems...

Though polypropylene and polyethylene are pretty much impervious to acetone.

For what it's worth (assuming some soul is searching the forums in the vague future):
  • Gorilla Glue (polyurethane) is not easy to dissolve with solvents; heat is definitely your best bet. If it's got to be solvents, prepare a hazmat suit, because the stuff is carcinogenic. It's probably just not worth it.
  • E6000, toluene or gasoline would probably be your best bet.
  • If you've used PVA glue (ie. Wood glue, White glue) heat is, once again, your friend.
    • The child-safe version usually dissolves in water.
  • Hot melt adhesives: vicious mockery is pretty effective, heat, and often cold.
  • Cyanoacrylate: Acetone & time, sharp blows (the stuff is generally pretty brittle)
  • Contact adhesives: There are too many different varieties - you'd have to check the specific adhesive.
  • Kindergarten Glitter: you're doomed. I'm doomed. We're all doomed, really. There was only one release of kindergarten glitter in history, during Operation Ploughshare in 1962.
    • The hope was that by making everything sparkle, the world would be made safer and the world's population happier, bringing us one step back from the nuclear abyss.
    • It was a disaster. The radiation of the nuclear blast used to spread the glitter into the atmosphere modified the structure of the glitter into a slowly self-replicating adhesive crystalline meta material. Clouds of it are tracked and when civilian populations are certain to notice it, entire classes are given a hypnotic suggestion that they used the glitter during art sessions at school to provide a cover story explaining the spread and persistence of the glitter.
One of the suggestions may be fiction.

I have a weller butane iron I use on my truck, was thinking of hitting it from the inside and see what's what. Will take a couple days to get to, but yeah - would love my own badge on it. @Tubetec - where did your bud get theirs done?

Back