NOS Tube Store

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinkia

Hi folks

I was looking for some tube and I found those guys..

http://www.nostubestore.com/

It seems to be too good to be real ! Any one have already order at their place?

Chhers

DaveP said:
I wouldn't pay those prices, they are for audiophools.

DaveP

Haha thanks for your answer
which seller would you recommand? I need ecc81 ecc83 and ecc85..

I buy my tubes from this company

https://vacuumtubesinc.com/

I trust Jim Cross

DaveP

Any decent supplier will provide matched tubes, my supplier has a box for such requests at the end of the internet form.
There is usually a minimal charge for the extra work.
DaveP

The tubes you need are small signal types. Why do you need matched pairs? Do you need the triodes within each one matching the triodes in the other?

True matching of tubes is very difficult. Most suppliers simply match plate currents at one plate voltage and grid voltage setting i.e one point of the characteristic. It is anyone's guess how well they match  over the rest of the characteristics.

Cheers

Ian

To return to the original question, it's been a couple of years, but I got good service from NOS Tube Store in the past.  And Koray will match tubes and test for matched halves upon request.

The only problem I had was when I bought some Telefunken EF86s from him. At the time he didn't have the right test equipment for those and I ended up with bad ones. But he sent me a bunch of another brand instead to make up.

ruffrecords said:
The tubes you need are small signal types. Why do you need matched pairs? Do you need the triodes within each one matching the triodes in the other?

True matching of tubes is very difficult. Most suppliers simply match plate currents at one plate voltage and grid voltage setting i.e one point of the characteristic. It is anyone's guess how well they match  over the rest of the characteristics.

Cheers

Ian

Because some of those are going to compress in stereo :)

I will guarantee no one matches for compression characteristics, that'd be running full curves, and to be accurate, needs to be the circuit in question.  You have to do that yourself.

ruffrecords said:
OK, understood. I would be surprised if you can get them matched that well.

Cheers

Ian

Hu so if I well understand, when they say "matched tubes" in some american store like T***de***, this is kind of null ?

emrr said:
I will guarantee no one matches for compression characteristics, that'd be running full curves, and to be accurate, needs to be the circuit in question.  You have to do that yourself.

I'm afraid I don't have tools nor acknoledge to do that !

The design of stereo linking of compressors is a nightmare. The response of each compressor depends not only on the device providing the gain reduction but on the whole gamut of components in the loop including the rectifiers  and other audio tubes. The saving grace is that nearly all such compressors are feedback types  which tends to reduce the effects of individual components.

To further reduce the effects of differences in each compressor affecting the stereo image, it is common practice to convert the stereo signal into sum and difference signals and compress them and then covert back to stereo. The effect is that differences in compression characteristics now appears as changes in the width of the stereo image rather than in its position .

Cheers

Ian

Or.....................use a mono compressor and run each track through separately.

DaveP

Back