not audio but interesting IMO

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
The TV show myth busters is mostly about blowing stuff up, but they occasionally expose something scientific. They were exploring a myth that dirty cars get better gas mileage than clean cars (they don't). I recently waxed my car and it clearly "feels" more slippery. For chuckles they compared smooth gold balls to dimpled golf balls and confirmed the superior distance thanks to reduced drag. Since they had time and budget they covered their test car, already rigged to measure gas mileage, with modeling clay, and carved dimples in the surface. Remarkably the dimpled car realized 10% better gas mileage.

I can't imagine car buyers embracing dimples but 10% better gas mileage is something. :unsure:

JR

PS: Besides dimples on golf balls, there is another friction reducing phenomenon related to the interleaved fish scales. :cool:

laminar flow, turbulence, and boundary layer dynamics. Fun times.
Car makers spend lots of wind tunnel time measuring and reducing Cd (coefficient of drag).

My brother says the later generation Tesla comes with a special plastic hub cap that is more aerodynamic than the previous version, and were responsible for increased battery range. He says they look cheesy and break easily, and cost $60 to replace after parking dings, so his 3 good ones are in his garage.

I don't think my brother is as cheap as me... I think he just prefers the look of the Tesla wheels without covers.

JR

I can't imagine car buyers embracing dimples but 10% better gas mileage is something. :unsure:
With the paint thats used these days I think it would look great. The way metal flake and pearls catch the light would be enhanced by dimples.

aircraft "riblets" are ripped off from shark skin....

iu

Caveat lector, myth busters are not the last word on drag management.

JR

Latest posts

Back