Not happy even with a lavry a/d.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadrecords

It's great don't get me wrong but something still sounds funky to me.

What are you all's favorite a/d for ultimate transparency?

Which Lavry? What don't you like about it? The Gold sounds great but has a slight bit of color to it. I think of it as hyper realistic. The Blue also sounds great but has a little vail. Those are the only two I've heard.

The Prism AD2 has the most accurate low end IMO. I think the top end is harder than the Gold but I like it.

I haven't auditioned converters in a while.

Gold said:
Which Lavry? What don't you like about it? The Gold sounds great but has a slight bit of color to it. I think of it as hyper realistic. The Blue also sounds great but has a little vail. Those are the only two I've heard.

The Prism AD2 has the most accurate low end IMO. I think the top end is harder than the Gold but I like it.

I haven't auditioned converters in a while.

The gold. Everything you stated I feel the same way. I may have to try the AD2.

I listened to a lot of different RME converters over the years and none of them came close to the Lavry Blue.

Saying this, most converters nowadays are just incredibly good, even some of the converters found in semi-pro soundcards.

Ha ha! Passed a few years since I posted here last time  :)

I had some good converters, tried many and still have some.
I liked the Lavry Black and Blue but sold many years ago.

My number one favourite is Forssell MADA2. Both AD and DA sound fantastic. Great for any application, mastering, recording one or two channels in the studio, audiophile playback for music listening.

chrissugar said:
Ha ha! Passed a few years since I posted here last time  :)

I had some good converters, tried many and still have some.
I liked the Lavry Black and Blue but sold many years ago.

My number one favourite is Forssell MADA2. Both AD and DA sound fantastic. Great for any application, mastering, recording one or two channels in the studio, audiophile playback for music listening.

Chris,

Good to see you post! I rarely get here myself anymore but love seeing the old faces pop up.

I'll spare everyone my converter thoughts :)

Cheers,
Ruairi

I've got a quite strong physical reaction to bad converters, especially when played loud.
Like, when you're about to have an accident, you brace yourself and wait for the bang.
My body goes in this mode when bad sound is played, watch out ! "here comes the migraine !"

I was not even aware of this until someone showed up with a converter I did not have this reaction to...

Black Lion Sparrow converters.

Sold all the Benchmark stuff people had talked me into buying and never looked back.
After hearing the Black Lion converters the Benchmark sounded like it was broken.

Call me crazy, but my converters sound fine !  ;D

PermO said:

Hi PermO,
there's a company that offers a powerful upgrade package that substantially improves the performance of the Black Lion Sparrow at an affordable price.

They will provide:
- new, high performance op-amps on EVERY analog input and output
- New, linear power supply for analog stage rails
- New, high-grade signal path capacitors on EVERY analog input and output
- New, high-grade op-amp decoupling capacitors on EVERY analog input and output
- Proprietary decoupling on analog stage power rails
- Ferrite power filtration on all A/D and D/A converters
- Proprietary decoupling on digital stage power rails
- New, ultra low jitter “XPTO” internal word clock

After these mods that only cost from $550 to $2500 you will hear your Black Lion Sparrow like never before, and it's performance will be closer to an high end converter

PermO said:

Sold all the Benchmark stuff people had talked me into buying and never looked back.
After hearing the Black Lion converters the Benchmark sounded like it was broken.

Call me crazy, but my converters sound fine !  ;D

You are Crazy :)

This thread from my friend and mentor Dave Collins covers it comprehensively - including measurements.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/prorecordingworkshop/black-lion-sparrow-d-a-t19403557.html

I had that same unit in my studio and it was without doubt the worst converter I've ever used in the studio, challenged only by a Mytek maybe. At the time I had several Prisms (Dream series and Lyra), several Cranesong, several Benchmarks, Avid, bunch of eval boards etc etc

Of course if you love it then that's great!

I could live with Cranesong, those sound nice !

The Benchmark, really really nasty to my ears, also goes for the Avid stuff.
I read the topic, funny how my experience is the exact opposite.

I think the subjectively percieved quality of audio is the most fascinating topic.

I was saving up for a Bricasti reverb, when I got one on loan I was so disappointed.
It's an amazing reverb, it really is, but for me it sounded totally 'out of place' in my setup.
I love the sound of a Lexicon 480, I ended up with a 12bit OTO Machines BAM, it's a really vibey reverb, love it.

I also run a 60 year old Revox G36 all tube 1/4" two track, still in it's original state, sounds amazing !
You don't want to see the specs of that thing  :eek:

Latest posts

Back