Now that's some coax

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were wiring up cell phone equipment in a building I used work before , a very similar air cored co-ax was used , looks difficult to work with but they were able put in a wide bend radius so it could turn corners and avoid obstacles etc .

I worked in FM broadcast and always enjoyed working at the transmitter sites since they were far, far away from the office, out in the country and in clean air.

I didn't listen to the audio of the clip but seeing that carbonized spacer made me feel lucky I never had to deal with a transmission line or antenna flash-over burn. Keeping the line under slight positive pressure with either dry air or nitrogen is a must to prevent moisture ingress. Once you get a flash-over a tower crew has to come out, repair the flash-over point and swab the line and spacers below it. You're either off the air, running on an alternative site, or patched into a broadband auxiliary antenna and transmission line shared with your co-located FM neighbors.

Reflected power is the Canary in your coal mine and the thing you watch closely during icing.

Back