NTP limiter card racking job....(pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiance

Bought these two limiter cards from a forum member, recapped them and put them in a box together with a PSU. Frontpanel is from Schaeffer.

2wntnv4.jpg

4g6476a.jpg

2evutub.jpg

47nigro.jpg

47ko07t.jpg

4cwwi14.jpg

Brilliant!!!

Is there any chance of getting the .fpd file?

I am planning on doing the same racking job very soon. It'd be of tremendous help.

Thanks,
Nikos
:guinness:

Hey, cool! :thumb:

I'm curious about those, those are in the eVilbay all the time. Brick wall limiters? How does some 1-2 dB of limiting sound with these?

When not pushed too hard, these cards can do very clean brick wall limiting. I don't have a gain reduction meter attached to these cards but I think you'll be able to do 4dB of limiting without any noticable artifacts.
But than again, I mostly do electronic stuff so I might be missing some subtlety which you'll have with accoustic music recorded in a real space.
For me it's good when I can limit my tracks to death and I don't mind a little distortion. For me 6dB of limiting on these cards still sounds OK, very OK that is...

Nikos, you can have the FPD file but mind you, I used a hexadecimal complement rotary switch instead of a ordinary hexadecimal switch so the lettering might not be correct for you.(you can delete it and insert your own lettering off corse..) PM me your email address....

[quote author="dimebag"]. Where will the meters be located?

db[/quote]

There will be no meter.....

BUT, I found out that I listen much better when there's no meter to look where as before I just watched the meter knowing I can do 5 to 6 dB without to much artifacts (for example an L2).

[quote author="radiance"]Jaakko, if you like you can send me a short wave file. That way you really know what they sound like....[/quote]

Cool, thanks! I'll PM you later on with some FTP passwords.

Thanks dude! :thumb:

hey there!

this device looks awesome!

can you give me details of the recovery time part. what are the switches, where do I get them?

I have two cards myself, but I never implemented the recovery time options, so if you could help me, I would be very glad!!

Or...you just solder the rec. time 1 to the 100mS setting and the rec. time 2 to the off setting.....at least that's the setting I always use.
The fixed time settings don't sound very good to me.....

Wow - they are nice! I know you already sold them, but could you tell me how you did the bypass switch? It looks like you shortcut power from the PSU to a pin on the cards to do that... Also, did you do anything to stereo-link them?

[quote author="dimebag"]andia,

member prr gave this info to me....

According to the data: you need three SPST switches for Attack, three more for Recovery. The switches short pins A, B, C to ground, or go open. Ground is "0" and open is "1". The table in Note 2 tells what you get for each of the 8 possible combinations of 3 switches. All 3 shorted is 4S recovery, C shorted and A, B open is 400mS.

Instead of 3 switches, you get a "hexadecimal switch" or "BCD decimal switch" such as DigiKey 401-1037-5-ND. (Do NOT get "complement".) Connect switch pin "C" to ground, switch pin "1" to limiter "A", switch pin "2" to limiter "B", switch pin "4" to limiter "C". Ignore switch pin "8": what you really want is an Octal switch, but they don't make them any more, you buy a 10 or 16 way switch and ignore the excess.

It would also be possible to do this with a simple 1-pole 8-throw switch. Ground the wiper. Start connecting diodes, band-end to the switch, to the ABC terminals marked "0" in Note 2. Position 0 has no diodes. Pos 1 has one diode to pin A. Position 7 has three diodes, to A B and C.

You could also use open-collector TTL chips to interface to a PC printer port... total overkill for one or two such boxes.
he is very sharp!!!![/quote]

I'm kind of interested in the 1-pole 8-throw switch solution. Do one just use any kind of diode - like for instance 1N4007's?

Looking forward to getting my new limiters up and running :grin:

Pm me your email and I'll send you the manual pdf which includes info about racking, pin out's etc. etc.

And yes, I guess any diode will do...but I sugest you go for the hexadecimal switch or BCD decimal switch.

Thanks!

Whats the reason for recommending the hexadecimal/BCD switch over the other? It's obvious that the other one needs a lot more cables, but I guess it shouldn't be too messy if one uses rather thin ones. Maybe there is something I am missing?

I was thinking that on the frontplate it would look better with a standard switch that could be programmed to only 8 positions so there isn't the 2 or 8 unused settings which would be the result using 10 og 16 way hex/BCD switches...

What you need is an "octal" rotary switch. That one has 8 positions.
The solution with the diodes and the rotary is also fine but a lot more work...

radiance said:
Pm me your email and I'll send you the manual  pdf which includes info about racking, pin out's etc. etc.

And yes, I guess any diode will do...but I sugest you go for the hexadecimal switch or BCD decimal switch.

Hi sir,
Can you , please send me this information! My email is:  [email protected]
I'm wondering ,since there are two recovery times, how  many BCD decimal switches do I need?
Thank you very much!

Best regards!
Mihail

Back