Number of posts down ?

Help Support GroupDIY:

Tubetec

Its just my impression but it seems like theres less than the usual amount of posts on the site lately ,
Maybe theres a way to look at the metrics , I wouldnt have a clue where to begin .
Would be a shame if the lack of transparency has damaged confidence in the site .

JohnRoberts

Staff member
Judging by the number of spammers still trying to sign up they still have confidence in this website.
======

How about I contribute some new content... What have you invented/engineered lately?

I don't bother with audio much these days except for answering the same old questions. I am more focussed on my yard and garden. IMG_20210610_162528103.jpgThe problem this solves is mowing down the sides of my uncomfortably deep rain ditches.

You may recognize a standard "aero" racing bike handlebar mounted to the end of my string trimmer handle. This gives me over a foot more reach down the sides and into the rain ditches.

JR

Tubetec

Well , my guess is the new found exposure the site has got is somewhat of a double edged sword , its great we have many new people here for the right reasons ,contributing new ideas and asking lots of questions , same time its probably resulting in a extra load in the trash can to be hauled out every morning . I was refering more to old soldiers here now conspicious by their absence , who knows the two things may be linked or not , its hard to know for sure.
Theres still no doubt about it Ethans 'cut and run ' without any real forewarning or explanation has damaged and undermined confidence . I stand by my suggestion of management publishing facts and figures relating to user participation , but of course like any pyramidical ,top down system, it will seek to brush any negative press under the carpet. The removal of brewery topics from the new posts list , while it was fairly broadly aggreed upon by our users suits managements agenda but could also result in worthwhile topics vanishing down the list without being read .

I did have a look at the site yesterday with a browser without add block software , when you land two thirds of the screen is taken up with adverts, its a bit overbearing but I guess the fact the site itself (for now at least) allows you to opt out shows some cognisance on the part of the sites new owners .

=======

I also spend much of my time in the garden during summer months , luckily where I am is flat level so I can do 99% of the ground with the ride on mower , I use a pole strimmer to do the edges and around shrubs etc .
I recently got a pair of IBC(1000liters each) tanks to use for rain water saving , I stacked one on top of the other so its simply fills then any over flow goes back the ground soak pipe . Very handy for watering plants but also great for power washing every once in a while. The tanks themselves look fairly industrial so I made up some lapped panels from old pallet timber , keeps the light out of the tanks so less algae but also makes it fit in better with other wooden structures in the garden .

I never saw a strimmer with wheels before , makes a lot more sense than trying to use a regular mower at an angle which is tempting the devil . Maybe a set of studded rugby boots or golf cleats would also bee a good plan to get a little more purchase under foot and help prevent any slips of falls , as time ticks on we dont recover quite as well as we once did after all .

Carefull out there.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
Well , my guess is the new found exposure the site has got is somewhat of a double edged sword , its great we have many new people here for the right reasons ,contributing new ideas and asking lots of questions , same time its probably resulting in a extra load in the trash can to be hauled out every morning .
I literally just spam cleaned another sign up request from a known spammer... the new software helps us identify bad actors.
I was refering more to old soldiers here now conspicious by their absence , who knows the two things may be linked or not , its hard to know for sure.
You can try asking the ones still alive,,, I have seen more IMO valuable members leave than you, some taking the dirt nap and some weary of the drumbeat of same old questions, some for personal reasons.
Theres still no doubt about it Ethans 'cut and run ' without any real forewarning or explanation has damaged and undermined confidence .
I have doubt... People still want to join here for the quality of discussion, technical, civil, and otherwise.
I stand by my suggestion of management publishing facts and figures relating to user participation , but of course like any pyramidical ,top down system, it will seek to brush any negative press under the carpet. The removal of brewery topics from the new posts list , while it was fairly broadly aggreed upon by our users suits managements agenda but could also result in worthwhile topics vanishing down the list without being read .
worthwhile topics in the brewery? :rolleyes: That's an oxymoron.

In my opinion Angie was a little too accommodating to the loudest voices early on, making more changes to the forum than were needed. Ethan was not so quick to change stuff, for better and worse.
I did have a look at the site yesterday with a browser without add block software , when you land two thirds of the screen is taken up with adverts, its a bit overbearing but I guess the fact the site itself (for now at least) allows you to opt out shows some cognisance on the part of the sites new owners .
There is no announcement that anyone other then Ethan owns this site. In my several years of working with him he has always been honest and forthcoming, while he has had his share of personal issues (like we all do). I will not speculate and feed these conspiracy theories further, but this is the longest he has been incommunicado. It was not unusual for him to be out of touch for weeks at a time, but not months.
=======

I also spend much of my time in the garden during summer months , luckily where I am is flat level so I can do 99% of the ground with the ride on mower , I use a pole strimmer to do the edges and around shrubs etc .
I used to me able to mow my front ditch with my smaller riding mower, but the last time the state ditched it out deeper the sides became too steep to negotiate under power.
I recently got a pair of IBC(1000liters each) tanks to use for rain water saving , I stacked one on top of the other so its simply fills then any over flow goes back the ground soak pipe . Very handy for watering plants but also great for power washing every once in a while. The tanks themselves look fairly industrial so I made up some lapped panels from old pallet timber , keeps the light out of the tanks so less algae but also makes it fit in better with other wooden structures in the garden .
I live on low ground so a lot of rain run-off passes through my rain ditches, front and back side.

Speaking of water...(warning TMI follows) I probably shared my recent drama when lightning took out my sump pump float level controller. Ground water accumulates under my house in the crawl space. After the lightning damage the controller company sent a free warranty replacement. I also encountered start up (air lock) problems with the submersible pump. At 1/2 HP it was over capacity for my needs so I replaced with a new 1/4 HP pump... I added a back flow preventer check valve to prevent water draining back down under the house. If not managed the same water can cycle back in and out, causing the pump to short cycle.

At the time I could not disassemble the 1/2 HP pump to troubleshoot the air lock. The top housing was secured with special "Y" screws. I ordered a set of drivers so during a dry spell I decided to check out (fix) the 1/2HP pump.

A common problem with these pumps is to get air locked when first starting up. Smaller pumps often use a small pin hole vent (that can get clogged with debris). The 1/2 HP pump used a ball bearing check valve to block the vent channel under water pressure, but allow air to vent. When I disassembled it I found the ball bearing stuck up, vent blocked. Just touching it caused it to release but apparently unreliable in use. I decided to add a redundant pin hole vent by drilling a small hole. Now my "spare" 1/2 HP pump starts every time.

Getting back to my almost new replacement 1/4HP, I didn't have enough rain to give it a proper workout until this week. Coincidentally when the water rose, it tried but would not pump water. I have a power meter on the pump and it was drawing roughly 2/3 the power it does when pushing water.

My suspicion is that mud got into the check valve prevented it from opening (or blocked the pin hole vent). I took it apart, then reassembled and it started pumping. I was still wrestling with the problem of getting the pump to stand up vertical down in the crawl space. The check valve and adapters, and large discharge hose, caused the pump to be top heavy and tilt over compromising the float level operation. My first attempted remedy was to bend up a steel coat hanger and hook that to a water pipe to stand it up. That wasn't reliable. My effective fix for that was too repurpose three cheap shelf L brackets as legs. I was able to hold them in place with the same screw clamps holding the float switch assembly. It has been reliably clearing water out of my crawl space for two days now. :cool:

I never saw a strimmer with wheels before , makes a lot more sense than trying to use a regular mower at an angle which is tempting the devil .
That is the widely advertised (here) DR Trimmer (DR stands for "done right", and I am inclined to agree). This string trimmer cuts down small trees and has exceeded my expectations.

Maybe a set of studded rugby boots or golf cleats would also bee a good plan to get a little more purchase under foot and help prevent any slips of falls , as time ticks on we dont recover quite as well as we once did after all .
I have a bum knee, now arthritic, and I absolutely can't mow the ditch standing on uneven sides of the ditch. My knee does tolerate me running the mower vertically up/down the steep sides of the slope. The new handle extension supports that mode allowing me to mow deeper down into the ditch.
Carefull out there.
always...

JR

Last edited:

Winston OBoogie

worthwhile topics in the brewery? :rolleyes: That's an oxymoron.

On the whole, I'd agree with that.

There's one I have a vested interest in that I'd prefer wasn't schmiss-ed.
Maybe the OP should have started the thread in another sub forum, but it's in the Brewery and, even if I do say so myself, I wrote a lot of historical info relating to the old EMI REDD equipment that seemed, judging by folks who PM'ed me, quite worthwhile. At least to them.
Maybe not useful info as far as building Pro Audio kit, but of historical interest maybe.

Anyway, kudos on your latest "invention" :)

Winston OBoogie

There's certainly enough subject matter to discuss. There're probably also lots of us who are interested in that stuff.
The issue probably is one of clutter. It might almost be better if something like that were limited to a dozen or so threads/topics of interest. Maybe it would also require members to self-curate as they go - keep out, or down to a minimum, any non relevant posts.
Maybe that's too much of an ask though? 😉

Tubetec

I just saw the site stats now appear at the end of the Forum page ,

History has a habbit of repeating itself , simply turning our back on it and blithely ploughing onwards regardless, you can end up going round in circles . Facing the future with love and understanding I broadly agree with ,decoding the locked loops of previous generations is key though.

Last edited: