Observations over the years

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

It seems people ask questions that have older threads that can answer or help answer their question.

Microphone builds
I think a good first build is a circuit using an opamp and it can sound better than you might think.
Rogs posted a nice link to a strip board build and there are others at the old yahoo microphone group people should try.

Transformers
They matter a lot in a transformer out circuit. Small inexpensive ones might not be what you want.

It seems people ask questions that have older threads that can answer or help answer their question.

Microphone builds
I think a good first build is a circuit using an opamp and it can sound better than you might think.
Rogs posted a nice link to a strip board build and there are others at the old yahoo microphone group people should try.

Transformers
They matter a lot in a transformer out circuit. Small inexpensive ones might not be what you want.
Indeed - my favorite upgrade to the less expensive Audio Technica mics is to replace the transformers with impedance-balanced outs.

I'm certain of this; so far, however, there are a few observations as a newbie to the site:

I certainly know that the first thing I do is go to the search function and search for an old thread, because I know I'm not special, and My question isn't new.

My two key observations: The search function is ineffective, and there are no stickies (something I've seen in every other forum on the internet) for FAQ's.

Even the curated list of "Useful Threads" I was given when I joined GroupDIY was a list of dead links -- none of which I could actually find when searching for the exact thread name. (That's just how bad the search is).

Microphone builds
And that strip board build is a thing of beauty. Ditto with his RF Condenser design.

Transformers
I have no problem taking it at face value, but perhaps more explanation would be helpful. I mean, I'd search, but... as I just explained, the search is slightly less useful than asking an orangutan to throw darts.

My two key observations: The search function is ineffective, and there are no stickies (something I've seen in every other forum on the internet) for FAQ's.

Even the curated list of "Useful Threads" I was given when I joined GroupDIY was a list of dead links -- none of which I could actually find when searching for the exact thread name. (That's just how bad the search is).
Yeah, links got broken recently, like last 2 months. Don’t know if it’s fixed. There were stickies, there are also meta…..possibly all full of orphaned links. You should have seen how bad search used to be! It’s the best it’s ever been currently. Used to be a google specific search option window to have them search the forum and it usually worked better.

Latest posts

Back