oddball transformer- API?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

Years ago I scored a early 80's wheatstone console on the super cheap.  Turned out it was filled with P&G's, modutec VU's and about 16 transformers. Some have said they think the tx's are 'Vintage' API.

I'd like to use them in the group cards in my console, but the wiring is unlike anything I've seen, in that there are only 4 leads!

I'm not sure if they are wired 1:1 or 1:2.  I'm going to assume R/RW are the inputs and B/BW are the outs and is most likely 1:2.
(Bout to add them to a PCB and see what happens).

My question is, has anyone seen these kind of API transformers before with this kind of  wiring and/or color code? (See pict)

Thanks!
-Boji

tePyzuU.jpg

The number looks like an api .  It seems like 2 windings on output rather than 3 on output like 2503.  Really just guessing here.  Nothing solid.

Any idea of the model console they are from?
I think it was an Audioarts 2k, their first retail console, and had an 8x8 group matrix.  Contacting Wheatstone they didn't have any schema's for it...

http://wheatstone.com/about-2/wheatstone-history-2
A picture of their early parametric eq looks like they were using API styled knobs, so perhaps they had some deal with them.

Edit: on second thought, they say the 2k was like a suitcase, and the beast I had was no lightweight, portable thing.
The frame was virtually identical to an 8k in terms of channels, vu's and 100mm faders, but included a group matrix.

What’s the dc winding resistance compared to an api?

I don't have any 2623's free to play with atm, but the oddball shows 25.3ohms both on primaries and secondaries. Might that mean it's a 1:1?

I guess if I wire it up against a group card with CAPI litz 2623's we'll see if output is reduced...

equal DCR = bi-fi

is that 625 EI? (about 1- 5/8" x 1- 7/8")

probably 800 turns ea #29 x 2 

1:1  600:600

28 db @ 20 Hz (20 V-rms)  12 K Gauss

check freq, s/b good to 500 KCPS    Ind s/b 15 Henries unless gapped,

look at core for gap

The API 2623-3 xfr has terminals rather than wires coming out, so the clour code is what ever was used by the console manufacturer. Should have 6 terminals, 75 Ohm 1:1 or 300 Ohm 1:2.

See the API transformers data sheets posted by Gyraf in the Tech Docs.

The API 2623-3 xfr has terminals rather than wires coming out

True, but I remember reading somewhere that they came later in the product offerings, which might make this a progenitor to the standard xxxx-3, thru-hole, pcb mount.  I can infer from the console the tx's are circa 78'-79'. 

Was the "AP2623-3 " label a standard code format that API decided to adopt?  I always thought they "owned" this naming convention.

I should probably contact API about it!

Woot, got a ping from the CJ.  Love reading  all your lam yams.
is that 625 EI? (about 1- 5/8" x 1- 7/8")
measured it to be 1.63" x  1.33"
Might be a little less thick than standard 2623. I'll check in a few days.
1:1  600:600
Was afraid of that.  :/
look at core for gap  check freq, s/b good to 500 KCPS
Any interest I send you one? 

Thanks again for yer input!

Merp: Just realized this thread should probably be moved to The Lab.

Latest posts

Back