Official C12 Clone - Build and Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased a Mic Parts VSP1 kit to relace the Guts of an Alctron PSU...It's not too much $$ and made a night and day difference in the sound quality. No regrets at all!!
I find 200 bugs for a PCB and a few components + Neutrik sockets a bit much. What is so special about this PSU upgrade? I would be interested in a photo of this PCB.

Cheers

Ahhh, most people do not understand the importance of a god power supply...It's well worth the money. As I said in my review "Why spend beaucoup $$ and time on a fantastic mic build (Mine is an Avantone completely gutted with a 251 circuit, Cinemag 13114 Xfmr and a real AKG CK12 Brass capsule) and have the sound compromised by a "so-so (at best) stock PSU"...The sound difference is amazing. MUCH more clarity thru the entire mic range! I did A/B recordings...the proof is in the pudding.

Attachments

• IMG_3022[1].JPG
    IMG_3022[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Oh, and the Neutrik sockets...the stock PSU's sockets were so loose and rickety they needed to be replaced...'Couldn't get a secure connection...you get what you pay for...

Ahhh, most people do not understand the importance of a god power supply...It's well worth the money. As I said in my review "Why spend beaucoup $$ and time on a fantastic mic build (Mine is an Avantone completely gutted with a 251 circuit, Cinemag 13114 Xfmr and a real AKG CK12 Brass capsule) and have the sound compromised by a "so-so (at best) stock PSU"...The sound difference is amazing. MUCH more clarity thru the entire mic range! I did A/B recordings...the proof is in the pudding.
Thanks for the photo. I have never claimed that a good PSU is not important, not a word, but I find it simply too expensive. Believe me, I've built a few PSUs in my life and maybe it's because I have a hard time spending that much money on what I see. I would just design it myself including the PCB because I enjoy it.

For people who can't or don't want to do that, maybe this is a good deal. The main thing is that you are happy with your result. All good.

Oh, and the Neutrik sockets...the stock PSU's sockets were so loose and rickety they needed to be replaced...'Couldn't get a secure connection...you get what you pay for...
Yeah, everyone knows that the standard sockets are not of the best quality.

I'm just making a line under the unit prices of the components I see in this quote. When I add that up, I come up with about $30 total.

Hi, Sure, all depending on one's abilities. I meant nothing derogatory towards you personally...I've just found that most people don't realize the importance. I've been inside of about every mic in the world, modded every "pro-sumer" mic preamp but not adept at building power supplies. I know my limitations. You're correct, If one is happy with the results that is the key.

Best regards!

but not adept at building power supplies. I know my limitations.
A really well-intentioned tip, connect the yellow-green protective conductor PE to the housing, even during testing. Otherwise you deactivate important protective functions and put yourself and others in danger.

@cfanzalone did you have to do any specific changes to make it compatible with your C12? I have the VPS1 as well (prebuilt) and a V-47 (I built) and am curious if any mods are required to use it in various C12 builds (I'm not confident in my PSU abilities at all).

Hi, I made a 251, not a C12...It worked perfectly upon completion (no mods), but read the earlier threads where I admit I'm not good at all with PSU's either.....I can't say, as there may be different voltages different mics like to different areas... That much I do know...Best check with Mic Parts for these kind of specifics since you got the PSU from them. Their customer service is great!...
'Sorry I can't help more...

Best regards

I purchased a Mic Parts VSP1 kit to relace the Guts of an Alctron PSU...It's not too much $$ and made a night and day difference in the sound quality. No regrets at all!!
Do you think it is better than the psu circuit shown in this thread (not the stock alctron). In what way?

Thanks

Actually, it was for an Apex 460...'sorry...but essentially the same thing, Alctron, Apex, Avantone...I'm going to post a pic of the stock PSU (most stock PSU's aren't reliable in their voltages...I once had an Avantone PSU that came with the CV12 that was so far out of wack I couldn't believe it...worthless AND could have damaged the capsule with excess voltage)...
You tell me! Far better components, adjustable B+ and heater voltage, 'ramp up' power...mostly better sound!!! Night and day difference...clearer, cleaner, punchier...etc
Best regards

Attachments

• IMG_3027[1].JPG
    IMG_3027[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Question, I know in the calibration were testing B+ out of the PSU to 120V. When im measuring plate voltage at the tube socket its more like 78V due to R17. In the 6072 data sheet it states the tube can run a lot higher plate voltage. What is the nominal plate voltage for the 6072 in this circuit?

Im assuming its around 78V but curious.

Actually, it was for an Apex 460...'sorry...but essentially the same thing, Alctron, Apex, Avantone...I'm going to post a pic of the stock PSU (most stock PSU's aren't reliable in their voltages...I once had an Avantone PSU that came with the CV12 that was so far out of wack I couldn't believe it...worthless AND could have damaged the capsule with excess voltage)...
You tell me! Far better components, adjustable B+ and heater voltage, 'ramp up' power...mostly better sound!!! Night and day difference...clearer, cleaner, punchier...etc
Best regards
Sorry I did not mean that. I'm sure it's better than the stock psu.
I was asking if you had the chance to compare this one with the yellow PSU pcb discussed in this thread.
Thanks

To replace the acoustically humming power transformers, I ordered these ones, I think it is tight but hopefully they will fit in the alctron psu case.
Capture d’écran 2022-12-11 à 14.51.47.png

Back