Oktava MK-220 capsule wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icantthinkofaname

I have an Oktava MK-220 capsule from one of my mics that I'd like put into a different mic body. Therr ate 4 wires on it. Two center terminated wires, and two backplate wires. Are the backplate wires ground? Because of the mess of wires in the MK-220 I couldn't tell what was what.

The donor mic's capsule appears to have just three wires, with just one backplate wire. Should I just solder both backplate wires from the Oktava capsules in the same place as the 797 K67 capsule in the donor mic?

Interestingly enough, it looked like one of the the center terminated diaphragm wires on the MK-220 capsule was connected as a ground wire. Is it possible for that to happen and still have the mic work (assuming the backplate wires are ground)? If so maybe that explains the grounding issues my mics have.

First you could check continuity between the four wires.

Then, backplates don't necessarily need to be connected to ground - in fact, they rarely are.

In my DIY LDC's, i take the signal from the backplate, while the front (and/or rear) diaphragm has the bias voltage applied (with no 1Gohm in series), and i've yet to encounter any hum / grounding issues.

Mind you, i did take the time to sand off the paint from the ends of the body tubes, where they make contact with the chassis, just to make sure.

I may just solder the wires to where they are on the stock B2 Pro, then change it if necessary.

In the future I'm gonna build a U87 circuit in the body when I can actually solder without breaking stuff.

Latest posts

Back