Old Ferrographs make vintage Mic Pres now

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Some guy in the UK has started selling repackaged electronics from old Ferrograph tape recorders as 'Vintage Valve Mic & Instrument Preamp'. Of course he fails to mention they are really re-boxed guts from an old domestic tape recorder.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260754293589&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's bad enough when old pro Ampex recorder electronics get sold as vintage mic pres but Ferrographs? you gotta be joking.

Cheers

Ian

Hmmm...

Looks like a hobbyist - £349 isn't really going to give a big profit after covering case, parts and time.

I have a couple of old ferrographs kicking around that we use for effects in the studio - certainly many fun lo-fi sounds can be had from these by sending a line from the 'desk' especially if you crank them up and re-mic the speaker. I haven't tried to use them as preamps, so can't really pass comment on that, but I am surprised the seller doesn't say what they are!

zebra50 said:
but I am surprised the seller doesn't say what they are!

I emailed him through eBay and asked if they were just Ferrograph electronics repackaged and he confirmed they were. So I said I thought he ought to say so in his adverts. His reply was "why? They are as listed and you get what is advertised" to which my answer was 'Because it is misleading'. I have not heard from him since.

Edit: just got a reply: "Well I do not see how at all and what differance does it make what make they are. I'm not saying they are any make there not but thanks anyway"

Cheers

Ian

That's an odd attitude. Why hide it?

Actually, I would have thought they are worth more sold as Ferrographs. The brand has history to it, and looks cool if you like the 1950s b-movie look. Which I do!

But nevermind.

Ebayers are getting more and more dishonest every day... it's frustrating. Everyone is trying to dupe the unwitting buyer, kinda like the stock market.

ive seen quite a few selling for over £100 and thats just raw modules that aren't
even racked!! maybe we should stock up on them and sell them in a few years for a couple of grand ;D ???

£349 isn't really going to give a big profit after covering case, parts and time.

It wouldn't seem that way.  Looks like a decent rack job too.  I suppose it's no worse than the Roberts/Akai, Sony and other consumer tape pres people expend effort to convert.

What gets lost by many ebay sellers is the fact that one of the big reasons a lot of the once lesser known stuff became popular was because it was relatively cheap and easy to get.  Once the price soars out of reach it's a plungers market.  Think I paid 150.00 for a Sta-Level back in the late 90s. 

Latest posts

Back