on hold with the IRS

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. I forget the music. . . They could spend a cut of the billions extra they are getting for infrastructure to install a call-back system.
I got two $53 notices, one for me and one for the missus.
I waited over an hour to speak with Mrs. Wilson who told me that is was only one charge, that was for my extra tax to pay for the
"the employer payroll tax rebate given by our previous "illustrious president"". They send it to both names on the form.
I said "Mrs. Wilson, how do you like the $5 a gallon cost of gas from our current "illustrious president?", and she said "Can I help you with anything further?"
Click-aroonie!
Mike
PS: A really wack thing is that I got letters from both the IRS and NYS TAX, in the same week, notifying me that I did not owe them anything. THANK YOU! How many other millions of people got those wastes of paper? Is the IRS trying to support the failed USPS?
I couldn’t reach anyone all week. I went to my bank for proof of payment. I was not about to send out my bank statement.the lady at the bank who helped me, was in the same boat. She didn’t know what to do. So I told her what my accountant said to me, not my account assistant who said to Ignore it, but my accountant. They said don’t pay, send a copy of all proof you have that I paid on time and that I paid what I owed. So I sent a copy of proof from my bank the check was processed, a copy of the certified letter paperwork from the post office which has a mailing date and a strongly worded letter saying this should conclude the matter at hand and any further discussion can be had with my lawyer.
hopefully that nips it in the bud.

I think I have written this previously in these pages. . .
I got a "mail audit" from them because I gave over some threshold to charity in one year that raised a flag.
No, I didn't donate my used knickers like our ex-president or one of my polo ponies to my gumada's children's charity. . .
I donated a car, and other cool stuff to concerns that needed it.
I had to document all cheques/cc charges/receipts for the year and mail it in. In the process I found donations that I missed and did not include on my return, so I fired-up T-Tax again and got a refund following my amended return.
Breathe deep and endure. . .
Mike

I had only one other run in with the IRS in the past but this was the first time they claimed I didn't pay them. My other run in included a stolen refund and learning terms like "white washing a check". The IRS didn't flinch when I explained how i never got my refund, the last time I ever made it so I have a refund. After 9 months of paperwork and back and forth, it was proven I was not committing fraud and indeed my refund check was stolen. They cut me a new check andI got it right away after the 9 month investigation was over. I don't know if they ever prosecuted or did anything beyond confirming my claim of a missing check and the IRS cutting a new one. knowing the system, it was probably deemed to little of an amount to bother with.
Amazing how that all works and how it goes for big companies too. I did a stint in broadcast where we had a break in in an employees car and their company issued laptop was stolen. When I reported it, the guy who handles theft and insurance was like "it's a laptop, just order a new one. Had it been a broadcast truck, then we would file an insurance claim"

I had only one other run in with the IRS in the past but this was the first time they claimed I didn't pay them. My other run in included a stolen refund and learning terms like "white washing a check". The IRS didn't flinch when I explained how i never got my refund, the last time I ever made it so I have a refund. After 9 months of paperwork and back and forth, it was proven I was not committing fraud and indeed my refund check was stolen. They cut me a new check andI got it right away after the 9 month investigation was over. I don't know if they ever prosecuted or did anything beyond confirming my claim of a missing check and the IRS cutting a new one. knowing the system, it was probably deemed to little of an amount to bother with.
Amazing how that all works and how it goes for big companies too. I did a stint in broadcast where we had a break in in an employees car and their company issued laptop was stolen. When I reported it, the guy who handles theft and insurance was like "it's a laptop, just order a new one. Had it been a broadcast truck, then we would file an insurance claim"
Workers are not very diligent about waste and fraud when spending OPM (other people's money). Businesses are better than government about thwarting massive invalid losses because they can go bankrupt. The amount of fraud associated with government handouts is hard to imagine.

Feds charge 19 defendants with pandemic fraud of over 24 million dollars

JR

Workers are not very diligent about waste and fraud when spending OPM (other people's money). Businesses are better than government about thwarting massive invalid losses because they can go bankrupt. The amount of fraud associated with government handouts is hard to imagine.

Feds charge 19 defendants with pandemic fraud of over 24 million dollars

JR
agreed. I just assume the IRS/GOV has a minimum number where it is treated as a problem with an attempted solution vs just a, oh well cut another check.
Clearly it wasn't enough to worry about or even register on their radar. Yet as a person who helps fund all this, I would like to think every dollar is accounted for. But that's wishful thinking on my part.

And today I received another letter from the IRS...
This time it said "Thank you for your inquiry. " um, wait a minute, you inquired with me. In fact you mailed me saying I didn't pay when I did.
It further added that "they are working on my account. but it will require an additional 60 days to send me a complete response on what actions they are taking on my account." Um WTF, there are no actions to take here, you already took actions when you cashed my payments for the taxes i owed and then mailed me to say i didn't pay my taxes. The only action that needs to happen here is leave me alone. I did what i was supposed to, I followed instructions. payments were made on time and in full.
If anything I can joke and say the fact they didn't mark me as paid, or the fact they are taking 60 days to respond is why they are sorely in need of 87,000 more IRS agents. :rolleyes:

Keep the paperwork, that is just a tickle to let you know they are still on your case.

Maybe you can get one of the 85,000 new guys assigned to your acct.

JR

Keep the paperwork, that is just a tickle to let you know they are still on your case.

Maybe you can get one of the 85,000 new guys assigned to your acct.

JR
yes I have copies of everything I have sent them and everything they sent me. I will not allow them to charge me twice nor will I pay for their mistakes in any capacity

Finally, they get back to me to tell me what is happening. I underpaid by by a low amount. In turn with interest, I owe the irs sixty bucks. Not sure how they got that or where my accountant screwed up but it’s a lot less then what they first claimed. Why it took this long to say anything is beyond me. A simple you under paid by x amount and owe that by “insert date” is too much to ask for

Last edited:
There's no "service" quite like government service.
Well there is the post office. :mad:

When I bought my house across the street from the local post office, 3+ decades ago. It came with a post office box for my mail. For decades I struggled with mail addressed to my street (E-911) address, returned as undeliverable by the USPS. Over the decades I had some serious snafu's. The worst was when I discovered that my house was being put up for auction due to non-payment of taxes. o_O It turns out the tax bills sent to my physical address were returned to the tax collector as undeliverable. Thankfully the postoffice had mercy on me and delivered the auction notice into my PO box. I visited the local tax collector and had them adjust my mailing address after I paid them in full on the spot. Taxes here are almost embarrassingly low (but we don't get what we don't pay for). I had similar but lesser USPS address related snafus like my home insurance policy almost cancelled for non payment when they decided to return my insurance bills. I lived here for decades with the postmasters generally giving me my important mail but it was a PIA when mail you were getting reliably for decades all of a sudden does not arrive.

Many vendors and companies depend on the USPS street address database as the definitive shipping address authority. I can't tell you how many times merchants have told me that my home address does not exist, apparently because of the USPS database. After decades I finally decided to stop trying to convince them of the obvious and installed a physical mailbox on the street in front of my house to receive mail deliveries.

This was relatively painless. I installed a $35 plastic mailbox and post into a hole with a few pounds of redimix to anchor it. My hope was to get my old school paper newspaper in my mailbox earlier in the morning than in my PO Box. Back three + decades ago the postmaster would put my WSJ into my PO Box first thing and I could read the front page with my morning coffee, and still be sitting in my office by 8AM... The modern USPS has degraded the PO box service to more like 9:30-10AM for mail delivery. This morning I got my real newspaper in my real mail box before 8:30AM. Not as early as 3 decades ago, but better than the last couple decades in my PO box.

Now comes waiting for the USPS master street address database to reflect that my street address is indeed valid. I just checked and it is still showing as a bad address. Its only been 2 weeks and they are moving at the speed of a government (?) service. :cry:

JR

PS: It turns out my carrier has a quiet muffler on her car so I don't hear her making her first drop of the day. I added a cheap electronic gadget that combines a tilt switch with a RF link taped to the box door, to trigger an alarm in a receiver sitting inside my house when the mailbox door is opened and shut. Simple but it works. (y)

Wow..... Maybe another Gov agency will be showing up at some point...lol
I don't know about govt agencies showing up, but a homeless man ( local, not shipped in from the border), rang my doorbell this morning and asked me if I had an extra bicycle I didn't want? Kind of an odd questions. I think I've seen this guy scavenging food out of neighborhood garbage cans.

Coincidentally several years ago I gave away my older back up bike to another individual in need... She knocked on my door while hitchhiking through. She wanted a ride, I gave her a bike.

I only have one bike now, and I still use it so no free bike give aways today.

Maybe I need to start locking my tool room door again. I've had people steal sh__ like cheap sunglasses out of my unlocked car.

JR

Back