on/off switch qestion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanxe

simple question:

i just racked up a couple of eltech mic pre's (i will post the schematics if anybody is interested). the eq section is what interested me (5 bands each with variable frequencies).
anyway, on a tip from dave, i bought an acopain power supply. i mounted everything in a 4u par-metal rack, and now all i need to do is hook up the psu.

my question is, how do i wire the switch for the +/- 15 voltages? i would use a dpst switch, right? but how to wire?

some time in the future i will post pictures of it (and the mini-synth that i have almost completed) when it is all done and working.

thanks for this awesome resouce, i have obtained quite a bit of knowledge from here.
thanks,
ryan

Normally, you switch the wall-power input wires, not the low-volt DC output wires. You only need a SPST switch, the power supply module isn't eating wall-power when not needed, and any soft-start feature in the power supply would be defeated by just snap-switching the DC side.

Since were on this topic.

Where is the correct placement of the on/ off toggle?

120VAC from plug to IEC inlet (neutral goes to transformer neutral in)
Hot goes to toggle, from toggle to fuse and then from fuse to
transformer primary hot in?

The on/off toggle should be before or after the fuse?

Is there a better (safer) way of routing this?

Should HOT and NEUTRAL be switched on/off at the same time?

KEV? (was it you who stressed the importance of this on the TT forum) :?:

:?

> Should HOT and NEUTRAL be switched on/off at the same time?

Where are you? It matters a lot. Code and custom vary. Some areas do require double-pole switching.

In the USA, for closed boxes, we invariably use a single pole switch and just break the wire we think is Hot.

On well-constructed gear, the primary power wiring is unlikely to short, so fuse location is not critical. However in home-brew, I'd tend to have the fuse as close as possible to where power enters the box, so as much of the dangerous stuff is protected as possible. An entrance connector with a fuse holder is available.

On stuff that might be worked in "open", such as DIY stuff, a double-pole switch may be a little safer. Note that (before ATX) most PC switches were double-pole.

Thanks PRR !

I am in the the USA. So it sounds like just switching the Hot should
be fine for my G1176 boxes. If I was in some other country than
hot and neutral may need to be switched at the same time due to
code.

Thanks for the clairification..

:cool:

great! thanks alot. i guess i will just use the dpst switch that i already have as a spst. but since i already have a dpst switch, should i just go ahead and switch both?
i should have this complete shortly (just need to add the switch and two faders). i will post the completed pictures when i am done.
here are some pictures of the board that the pres came out of:
http://rclsgi.eng.ohio-state.edu/~bocook/Ryan5/studiob.htm

thanks again,
ryan

Back