OPENED WHITE MARKET!!!Distortion unit "CODE:DRIVER 76"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForthMonkey

1st mod sounds great. second mod is too flabby and non musical at higher settings. If I was building it I would prefer mod 1.

ding said:
1st mod sounds great. second mod is too flabby and non musical at higher settings. If I was building it I would prefer mod 1.

Yeah,you're right.Mod2 is not musical and useful.I'll work on Mod1.

I can add switch to Mod1 to bypassing diodes and get orginal 1176 color?

Circuit updated.

Removed Mod2.Now added only switch to bypassing diodes to getting orginal distortion.

ForthMonkey said:
I'm trying to design distortion unit with 1176 circuit(no side circuit).

Simple unit.Only in and out pots.

Here is first sound samples...I want to hear what you think about sound.Good distortion or bad?
I'm amazed at the fact that, having achieved a very high degree of accuracy, transparency and cleanness in sound reproduction, some are entertaining the idea of introducing vagueness, opacity and dirt.
I just hate distortion on drums, piano and vocals, just to mention the most often abused sonic objects.
Sometimes, heard in isolation, distorted sounds can appear "interesting", but in the context of a full mix, I think they just add an annoying fog.
I do a lot of modern rockabilly, where the common approach is using a lot of dirt, thinking that emulates the limitations of vintage equipment. I never do that, never use a dirtyfier, no tape, no ribbon mics, very little tube gear, and my customers are always ecstatic at how clean is the result.

Thanks for reply  abbey road d enfer.

Actually i don't like using distortion but sometimes i need it.Some distorted vocals and bass guitar can be good in my song.And small amount of this unit,sounding nice.It gives nice saturation.

Now time to build pcb and try different diodes.

Any idea about diodes?

ForthMonkey said:
Thanks for reply  abbey road d enfer.

Actually i don't like using distortion but sometimes i need it.Some distorted vocals and bass guitar can be good in my song.And small amount of this unit,sounding nice.It gives nice saturation.

Now time to build pcb and try different diodes.

Any idea about diodes?

yup, I agree. Bass would sound real nice, also for some super clean and digital electronic synths and sounds, could come in handy for vocal "effects" on a parallel track band passed (punk, heavy rock) and even parallel on some electronic drum/percussion for EDM stuff. You could do it with pedals but you know... never hurts to have extra colors/brushes in the old paintbox.

I like good distortion, tape, overdrive. But this first example just sounds like ordinary hard clipping. There is nothing useful about it.

Kingston said:
I like good distortion, tape, overdrive. But this first example just sounds like ordinary hard clipping. There is nothing useful about it.

Actually i want to use only 1176 saturation.It's really sound good when compressor at off possition.And i added some diodes to make it harder as second  mode.Nothing special...

ForthMonkey said:
Actually i want to use only 1176 saturation.It's really sound good when compressor at off possition.And i added some diodes to make it harder as second  mode.Nothing special...

FET hard clipping is still just hard clipping.

Kingston said:
ForthMonkey said:

FET hard clipping is still just hard clipping.

Hard or not.I like the sound.That's the point.

Latest posts

Back