Opening a KMR81i

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleroger

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a KMR81i that has a few quirks (catching a bit too much RFI + switches not aligning perfectly with the holes in the body) and I would like to open it for visual inspection, but I can't seem to get anything moving.
There are 3 small screws at the bottom and I have taken them off. Nothing else is visible on the mic, yet there is no way I can slide the innards one way or another.
Googling pictures does not seem to indicate that there would be a screw under the Neumann badge.
Does anyone have an idea, is there a secret to opening it? I'm kind of stuck here....
Thanks!

I have repaired them in the past, but there was no special 'trick' needed.
Maybe you just have to apply (gently!) a little bit more force, to slide the inner assembly out.

Thanks for your answer RuudNL, that's just what I thought.

The thing is I already tried gently forcing it out (pulling with pliers on the xlr pins)
Since I can see the inner screen is slightly wavy at its bottom and the switches seem to be 1mm too high inside the body, I suspect the electronics have been forcibly pushed inside the body.

The seller has offered to have it checked at his expense, so I think I'll just see what that brings instead of taking a risk myself.

EDIT: Also, this microphone seems to pick up some RFI ( way more that my Schoeps CMC6 and about 6dBs more than an Oktava mc012 in the same spot). Is this to be expected? Google doesn't seem to indicate that it's so common for this mike. Could this be just the high impedance part that's dirty/oily (I also suspect somebody could have put some fingers in there in this mic's past life)?

Last edited:
Finally I managed to open it by clicking an XLR into it and pulling while holding the body instead of just pulling one of the xlr pins with pliers, and discovered there was a hidden joint at the top of the sticker ring, I was not expecting it to open there, I just thought the innards would slide out of the bottom.

Latest posts

Back