Orange 86 Build Thread

Help Support GroupDIY:

ElSmurf

As I'm getting ready to start building this thing, I'd like to know what value to use for the bypass cap on C5. And if I should even use one. From the little I've learned about tube circuits while researching for this build, it seems to me the bypass cap adds gain but also raises THD.
I see most builds ommitting the BP caps, but Guavatone's build as per the pic in the first post seems to have what looks like a .018uf cap parallel to C5, nothing on C3.
I would love to know what my options are.

guavatone

ElSmurf said:
As I'm getting ready to start building this thing, I'd like to know what value to use for the bypass cap on C5. And if I should even use one. From the little I've learned about tube circuits while researching for this build, it seems to me the bypass cap adds gain but also raises THD.
I see most builds ommitting the BP caps, but Guavatone's build as per the pic in the first post seems to have what looks like a .018uf cap parallel to C5, nothing on C3.
I would love to know what my options are.

I'd rather not add to the over abundance of babble on Caps.  It's just an option and I would not go higher than 100 nF and PIO if you like that "sound".  Be careful using BP as a descriptor w caps. BP preceding the word capacitor generally mean BiPolar.

PS

excuse my cromugeon-ness ;-)

ron_swanson

guavatone said:
first. Are you doing one or 2 channels in the 2 RU?

For AC heaters you should only use one winding or connect in parallel

Hello guavatone,

Thanks for the reply ... I've had other commitments to attend to lately so have been unable to address this build, but hoping to get back on track now... admittedly still a bit lost here with this particular build...

Yes, I am building a 2Ch unit in a 2RU enclosure. 

Cheers, Greg

guavatone

ron_swanson said:
Hello guavatone,

Thanks for the reply ... I've had other commitments to attend to lately so have been unable to address this build, but hoping to get back on track now... admittedly still a bit lost here with this particular build...

Yes, I am building a 2Ch unit in a 2RU enclosure. 

Cheers, Greg

Would it be easier to talk on the phone to get you kickstarted?

I just looked at your last posts. For THE 275v I would do parallel wiring - tie 0V together for center tap ground and the other ends go to 2 diodes for the rectification- 2 diode bridge. And for 6.3V you could use series wiring - tie 0V to 0V and 6.3 to 6.3 each going to the balancing resistors on the aux PSU

-actually just check with John at  antek for 275V in series. It may be right the way you have it. Their data sheet is throwing me off today for some reason

timgoldsmith

Orange 86 Meter Requirents.

Im sourcing bits fo build and talking to meter vendors who have some interesting stuff.

I'm looking at a vertically mounted edgewise panel meter on the face
One thing they asked but I don't yet know:

True VU (with rectifier) or 200uA (you drive the meter)???

Thanks all! Hi Guavatone!

Tim

guavatone

Hi Tim. I’m sorry. I don’t provide support for meters at this point. I may sound like an asshole here, but I just don’t understand the point. i Imagine just using ideas from other preamps with meters will be fine

Latest posts