Orange Terror Bass amplifier - Attenuate DI Output

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
radardoug said:
You have seriously compromised the noise level of your d.i. output by padding before the opamp. You would have been better to go with your resistor across pins 2 and 3 on the XLR. Same result, but better signal to noise.
Actually you might be right about that. If the destination is a mic pre it could be quieter with the 150R load and attenuating after the op amps also attenuates the noise of the op amps which after 40dB boost at the mic pre might be significant.

But it's not crystal clear the difference would be audible.

As for padding after affecting CMRR, it's not crystal clear that that would be true either.

Just try it both ways. Both mods are trivial.

squarewave said:
Actually you might be right about that. If the destination is a mic pre it could be quieter with the 150R load and attenuating after the op amps also attenuates the noise of the op amps which after 40dB boost at the mic pre might be significant.

Well better is better.
The amp is closed now, but when I have the time I will bring it the shop remove the 1.5K resistor and install a U pad at the output like I suggested in my first post

30WxRfY.gif

Latest posts

Back