Orange Tube tester

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
this is nice if you got 500 bucks laying around and you are a tube geek,

takes a while to run all it's tests, but spits out a matching number, like 7, 8, 9,  so you can grade tubes,

nice and portale if you are a roadie and for some reason wanted to travel with it,

note that it does not test every tube under the sun, mostly just modern reissue p/n's, so you still need the old Sencore with all the baklite knobs, 3,000 sockets and a lookup table,

"In approximately two minutes, the VT1000 performs an extensive series of tests including:

Heater filament test: Short circuit
Heater filament test: Open circuit
Heater filament test: Tolerance check
Heater cathode insulation: Leakage
Heater cathode insulation: Short Circuit
Tests for heater current abnormalities
Amplification factor
Voltage gain
Power gain
Screen grid test
Mutual conductance test
Dual test for double triodes
Emission
Inter electrode leakage
Inter electrode short circuit
Flash-over (arc detection, high voltage breakdown)
Gas ionisation test
The VT1000 really opens the door to everyone to have an extremely simple, portable, reliable, inexpensive and safe way to test valves.

The VT1000 incorporates patent-pending technology and currently tests the following valves:

EL34/6CA7; EL34L; 6L6; 6V6/6v6GTA; KT66; KT77; KT88; 6550; 5881; EL84/6BQ5; ECC81/12AT7; ECC82/12AU7; ECC83/12AX7; ECC99; 12BH7

What they say…
Other companies will be looking with envy at Orange’s ground-breaking technology.

© Copyright 2016 Orange Amplification | Official Website | Products can change without notice 

https://orangeamps.com/products/accessories/amplifier-management/vt1000/

Attachments

• orange.jpg
    orange.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 44
Not a tester for a serious tube geek. For power tubes it can give a matching number that's close to each other, but in reality there might be almost 50% difference in plate current. Two minutes isn't probably long enough time for tubes to warm up for accurate testing. With guitar amps it's usually just best to plug a tube in and see if it works, no testers needed.

i have ordered the utracer myself,  seems like a nice piece of kit and also the price is a no brainer compared to other tube testing devices , can't wait to try it out

Rob Flinn said:
I was looking at this the other day http://www.dos4ever.com/uTracer3/uTracer3_pag1.html

Very cheap in kit form, hook it uo to an old laptop with RS 232.

Thanks Rob very interesting ....been thinking about having a windows based tube tester , now I know, how and why !
Will definately buy the kit asap ,as my diy attention has now switched to studio enhancement with thermomic devices
;D

we had one of those Orange tube testers at the shop.
We used it for over 2 years.

I really can't recommend that tester to anyone,
it's not  consistent in the results and sometimes just fails tube after tuber that are actually in perfectly good conditions.

I started to be suspicious when it was failing new tubes, those tubes actually worked very well in the amplifier. I took a bunch of Orange failed tubes to a friend that has an Avo tube tester and their were all good.
So if you have a measurement tool and can't trust it it's because is better not to have it.

Actually we even had 2 different units, the first one was sent back because we though was malfunctioning, then the replacement had exactly the same problems.

Other users reported similar findings.

I will get the utracer soon, that has a lot of praise;
http://www.dos4ever.com/uTracer3/uTracer3_pag0.html

Latest posts

Back