• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Original Brass CK12

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"telefunken"-usa cleared the market for these for use in their early product - they are now rare as hen's teeth.

Note that there are a number of different-sounding versions of the original - and some serious variation in the adjustment even within same-version.

Depending on what exactly you want to do, there are good alternatives..

/Jakob E.

"telefunken"-usa cleared the market for these for use in their early product - they are now rare as hen's teeth.

Note that there are a number of different-sounding versions of the original - and some serious variation in the adjustment even within same-version.

Depending on what exactly you want to do, there are good alternatives..

/Jakob E.
Thanks Jakob, that’s no surprise. I have a Flea C12 1:1 with pattern box genuine capsule etc. that is in great shape. I had a feeling that 414 or 412 were probably the only bet but the condition of the capsules looks mostly shoddy and I’m not paying 4k for a capsule with marks small holes and scrapes. I imagine it affects the sound to its detriment. 🤔 I have Haun caps but they are darker than what in mind even though I love them. Any ideas, budget is good?

I am thinking about selling my pair of original 414. The very first modell made with the special mic clips (they are missing though).
But it wont be cheap...

Hey Paul,

You really shouldn't put too much weight on Klaus's claim that he is the only one that can judge the objective quality of an expensive microphone OR his claim about reskinned CK12's sounding generically "wrong". Neither is true, simply.

I know that you shy away from CT12 because of some specimen you heard years ago in some unfortunate context - but I can assure you that mr. Campbell is actually able to revive just about any tired-and-broken "real" CK12 to sound exactly like any NOS one you may have and who's exact sonics you'd like cloned. The trick is that with new membrane comes whole new capsule set-up, a detail ignored by most Canadian AKG-repairmen, thus giving reskinning a bad name.

That said, I know that it's really hard to get an appointment for things like that right now, in that particular place.

/Jakob E.

I am thinking about selling my pair of original 414. The very first modell made with the special mic clips (they are missing though).
But it wont be cheap...
Yes I’m not paying 8k for a pair of 414’s just for the capsules. Thanks but it’s too expensive.

Hey Paul,

You really shouldn't put too much weight on Klaus's claim that he is the only one that can judge the objective quality of an expensive microphone OR his claim about reskinned CK12's sounding generically "wrong". Neither is true, simply.

I know that you shy away from CT12 because of some specimen you heard years ago in some unfortunate context - but I can assure you that mr. Campbell is actually able to revive just about any tired-and-broken "real" CK12 to sound exactly like any NOS one you may have and who's exact sonics you'd like cloned. The trick is that with new membrane comes whole new capsule set-up, a detail ignored by most Canadian AKG-repairmen, thus giving reskinning a bad name.

That said, I know that it's really hard to get an appointment for things like that right now, in that particular place.

/Jakob E.
No I don’t. I tend to use my own judgement. I like Klaus though he is informative in many areas and helpful.
Tim seems to have evolved very strongly compared to the harsh capsules I inherited years ago. The Flea 251 is very impressive beautiful top end. Typical they’re unavailable now. I was mostly pro Haun for a long time but the rest of the world is catching up fast. I just wish they sounded like the originals which I’m prepared to pay for. Providing that a pair match pretty well. Even the ones in 414’s look wrecked.
I’m in Britain and post Brexit is unbelievable. Logistics are a nightmare. Last mic I bought from Germany took 3 months to arrive. Still we carry on and enjoy the wonderful world of pro audio.

Latest posts

Back