Oscilloscope Calibration or Repair?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

I have a Tek TAS 465.  It was an evil bay special. The display has always had a blinking quality to it. In the photo you can see it’s not a crisp trace.  There are light and dark parts.

Then today I got that superimposed low frequency wave. The tone is 10K. I was driving myself nuts trying to figure out what i was seeing. I then removed the DUT and it was still there. I power cycled the scope and it went away.

The text on the display also looks wobbly.

Do you think if I get the scope calibrated it will take care of these display issues or does it need to be looked at in more detail. The calibration houses don’t do “restoration “.

Attachments

• 0F15C745-CB14-4698-9634-612837D1E284.jpeg
    0F15C745-CB14-4698-9634-612837D1E284.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 27
Thanks! It looks like he is dealing with the same sort of display problems I'm having.

Hi Paul,
try out the EEV blog forum, a lot of Oscilloscope gurus out there and also a lot of threads on that specific model.
I think you will find the solution there or can get good help in solving it

I’m a little embarrassed to say but power cycling  the scope fixed the problem.

I had a very similar situation a while ago. 125 kHz, not 10 kHz. Spent days looking for the culprit.

It wasn't until I moved the equipment that I realised it was only present in that one spot in the room. Turned out the culprit was a VFD driving the big sewer pumps under the road.

I've moved my equipment to another spot in the room. No more problems.

It made me curious and I found two other spots in the house where the same interference is present. Both are 3-phase circuits that are no longer used. The first one, however, has not 3-phase circuit near. At least, as far as I can tell.

Even my Fluke DMM behaved strange in that spot. Showing up to 6-7 volts on the DC range, with the leads attached to nothing.

Back