Oscilloscope visualisations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

I guess most who've used a scope are familiar with X-Y mode which creates a swirling corona on the CRT .
Using my ARB gen Im able to create all kinds of different paterns , AM modulation gives a 3d globe like image on the phosphor ,
The lack of any kind of kind of aliasing/artifacts due to digital and super sharp screen definition make it very absorbing to watch ,
Ive been thinking about making a camera box that sits on the front of the scope so I can big screen up the visuals .
The Shenzen Arb allows you create and store presets so you can program a series of different visual moods to the touch of a button .

I've heard of people putting X-Y displays on top of the meter bridge while recording/mixing.

The Lissajous patterns are almost as cool as looking at VU meters.

JR

The Germans and the Danish seem to be quite fond of Goniometers .

Good video of oscilloscope sound and visuals from Ausitria .

Last edited:
There is a Japanese artist who makes music for oscilloscope’s. I forget his name.

I keep a lissajous meter active in my studio. Stereo correlation is important when cutting lacquers. I used an HP 1200A or B for many years. They have a very sharp trace and mesmerizing display. They are also big and old. I recently went to a Surface Pro running Nugen Visualizer. I’m happy with it although the display doesn’t match the crispness and resolution of the HP1200.

Lissajous , Im a little curious about that word , it sounds like something very very bad
Lissajous - Wikipedia .
phase differences in the LF on vinyl can cause the stylus to jump out of its groove . I remember reading about Hendrix playing with phase shift panning , it seemed to give the vinyl cutting engineer a major headache from what I remember.
I took a look at the HP1200 , thats quite a beast alright .

Lissajous , Im a little curious about that word , it sounds like something very very bad
Lissajous - Wikipedia .
just a fancy name for a simple display
phase differences in the LF on vinyl can cause the stylus to jump out of its groove . I remember reading about Hendrix playing with phase shift panning , it seemed to give the vinyl cutting engineer a major headache from what I remember.
early vinyl cutters shorted L and R together with an inductor to suppress stereo at very LF.

JR

Great for professional audio. The only scope I've ever seen with a balanced input. It makes it easy to integrate in the studio. I think the 500K bandwidth makes for extra sharp traces in the audio band. The switches and pots were starting to go so I wanted to replace it. I kept it on the meter bridge of my Studer A80 1/2". I had to turn it off when running the 1/2" because the PSU of the scope would inject noise into the channel it was sitting over.

I did see a couple of TEK 7000 series scopes up for grabs , went for a song in the end ,
I'd imagine theres probably a balanced module available for those units .

Latest posts

Back