Parkside(Lidl) 20V Li-on dual rail op amp supply

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

I found the Lidl 20v battery charger has dual independant SMPS units of [email protected] and 5v output .
It can be seen in the video here ,

Each circuit is independant from the mains up and has a three section filter ,
might easily be connected as +/- supply for opamp based gear ,

Its not your usual space confined SMPS , these have good heatsinks on the Fets and the rectifier , the casing has many louvered vents to allow everything to breathe ,
the quality of both the charger pcb and the internal battery BMS system in the parkside is first class , they even have conformal coating to keep the dust and dirt out ,
re-purposing the SMPS is one thing , an off grid op-amp supply from a pair of quick change 20V lithium ion tool batteries would be nice , regulated down to 18 or 16 volts .

The charger enclosure itself can double job as back up dual rail supply with batteries in-situ , a suitable power connector , a switch and a pair of regulators are all thats needed .

This thing is substantial , its about 1kg , then add the batteries , it all adds up to an almost off the shelf solution , cell packs come in 2,4 or 8Ah, easily enough to power racks of gear all day long .

Last edited:
I did say racks ,not an entire console , eirher way your mic pre rack will benefit from a non mains supply and contaminated ground

MMC command could ensure the unit is always on battery power when in record mode and in auto charge as soon as tape stops rolling

Im looking out for a small midi controler pcb to relay control the mains input when in record mode via MMC .

I found these programable battery controlers , they monitor the charge and discharge and can be set to cut out at preset voltages , the cells themeselves and the charger take care of the charge cycle automatically , so I really only need this to prevent a low discharge voltage occuring .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155140015162

https://www.fruugo.ie/18650-lithium...scharge-protection-6-40v/p-73471512-147609268I found this unit , integrated volt meter and charge/discharge protection all in one intended for use with Lithium ion cells .
A pair of these should mount up neatly enough inside the charger enclosure .
The detect unit I mentioned in the previous post isnt compatible with Li cells .

Theres a couple of options for midi/relay control of the mains supply but Im very interested to hear from some of the synth guys of possible off the shelf pcbs that will do what I need .

I have a block diagram of what I want ,just need to tidy it up a bit now , will post a scan later .
1666711452839.png

Thats the rough idea below ,

I might end up using a 7 pin trailer connector and heavy mains four core cable as umbilical to the rack .
Just looking at what I did below again theres an error , I'll leave for now it to see if anyone can spot it .

1666730262072.jpeg

Latest posts

Back