Passive attenuator for monitors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
Kingston said:
ruffrecords said:
So it sounds like you use your monitor controller differently.  I am fascinated by how people use their gear. Can you elaborate?

???

ruffrecords said:
It is essentially a volume control for your monitor speakers or phones.

Sorry, too cryptic for me.

Cheers

ian

I'll take a stab at it...

In his original post, I think he was referring to building a rotary stepped attenuator.  He was talking about the considerable calculations you have to do to figure out which resistors to install at each rotary switch position to replicate the log taper of a good old fashioned pot.

How'd I do, Kingston?

Hi Curt
Let’s review pots. A pot is typically good for about 60dB range of control. Good pots, have silvered ends (very low HOPOFF resistance in mOhms) they may get 70dB to 80dB of control. Look @ the resistance of the wiper to low side of the control. This may be several ohms and this is the cause of the leakage.
Also be careful about the wiring and use the pot common as the connection point to keep the lowest common resistance in the circuit.

Good hunting
Duke. :)

Audio1Man said:
Also be careful about the wiring and use the pot common as the connection point to keep the lowest common resistance in the circuit.

Good hunting
Duke. :)

Can you elaborate?  By pot common, do you the contact that goes to ground?  In this particular circuit, none of them do.

CurtZHP said:
Sorry, too cryptic for me.

There was nothing cryptic. You answered your own question.

CurtZHP said:
In his original post, I think he was referring to building a rotary stepped attenuator.  He was talking about the considerable calculations you have to do to figure out which resistors to install at each rotary switch position to replicate the log taper of a good old fashioned pot.

Yes. With a pot - or as ruffrecords says a fader - you have infinite steps. Trying to condense this down to just 24 is difficult. You have to make choices on where the resolution of the plain old volume control matters most.

nielsk said:
BTW, so an LO2567 is 10K:600 ? I have not been able to find the sheet on that one, seems like it could make a nice tube O/T!

No I am afraid it is not. At Neve we used to use the 31267 in monitor sections.

Cheers

Ian

Here's something interesting...

Did some looking into the SPL SMC Surround Monitor Controller.  According to the docs, it uses a six gang LINEAR pot.  Why linear?  I figured log was the way to go for volume control.

CurtZHP said:

Did some looking into the SPL SMC Surround Monitor Controller.  According to the docs, it uses a six gang LINEAR pot.  Why linear?  I figured log was the way to go for volume control.
The blurb says "with an extremely linear curve"; it means the subjective impression is one of linearity but the taper is not.

abbey road d enfer said:
CurtZHP said:

The blurb says "with an extremely linear curve"; it means the subjective impression is one of linearity but the taper is not.

Ah!

Latest posts

Back