Passive DI (tranformer) into mic preamp (also with input transformer)??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richon

Hi!!

I have a "philosophical" question ,

when building a Passive DI (to connect an instrument into a 1073 style preamp) I have the resulting connection:

the instrument would connect into a 1:10 transformer, then into the 1073 preamp which has an input tranformer and then into the preamp circuit , then into the output transformer and then in the DAW interface.

So, would be good to use this or should I just plug the instrument into the DI input of the 1073 preamp as I will see no gain when going into the two transformers (DI+input 1073)??

The original Neve 1073 does not have a DI input. In fact, the original semiconductor amplifiers inside the 1073 do not have a high enough input impedance to be used as a DI input.. So any 1073 clone/kit/build with a DI input is either non-optimum or needs additional circuits to act as a true DI. Either way it is not using the Neve design to its best abilities.

Cheers

Ian

Neve-style preamps by BAE that include DI inputs simply insert a Jensen DI transformer before the unit's mic input, so their DI input is essentially a passive direct box that's built into their chassis. Other companies may provide a Hi-Z input that uses something besides a transformer and then you have to decide if that option suits your song better than a transformer (or active) DI into your mic input.

Hi!!

I have a "philosophical" question ,

when building a Passive DI (to connect an instrument into a 1073 style preamp) I have the resulting connection:

the instrument would connect into a 1:10 transformer, then into the 1073 preamp which has an input tranformer and then into the preamp circuit , then into the output transformer and then in the DAW interface.

So, would be good to use this or should I just plug the instrument into the DI input of the 1073 preamp as I will see no gain when going into the two transformers (DI+input 1073)??
I think you meant to say a 10:1 transformer for the DI. The more "stuff" in the signal path, specially transformers, the more distortion or dirt, of course, it depends on the transformers. But, in the end, if you like it, its ok.

Latest posts

Back