Passive preamp for Quad 303, balanced input w Sowter 9165

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbart

I have a pair of Sowter 9165 transformers - windings = 2+2 : 1+1 = 10k/2k4:2k4/600

There would be a few switched inputs, then I was thinking to use the input windings in series, and the output in parallel, (the step-down is useful; 12k4 : 480) followed by a switched ladder pad.

I'm unsure of the sort of impedance value to use for the pad. I'm already doing it with a 10k that I had lying around & it sounds ok, but I'd be interested to hear what the theory says.
The Quad's input-z is 22k (originally - this has been re-furbished but I don't see why the in-z will have changed)

Finally, I have a 6 position and a 12 pos switch lying around that will be suitable: instead of spending a fortune on a multi-position switch, I was thinking about using these two; the first for 6x6dB steps, feeding directly into the 2nd that would be 12x3dB.
Would that be advisable? Or will it cause the Quad to start operating strangely?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Will

Latest posts

Back