PCB mounting brackets for 4u module? Prefab options? DIY options?

Help Support GroupDIY:

InterstellarObscure

I’m planning out some DIY preamp modules with 4u front panels and I’m wondering if any one here has experience w PCB brackets to mount the electronics and so forth?

I want something like a 6” height L-bracket to bolt onto the 7” front panel and go 5”-7” deep into a rack. I’ve found sub module insert kits by Vector that contain a front panel and PCB bracket but they're only made in a 9” deep size for 4u. Plus, I only need the bracket, and I’d have to buy the whole module kit for $50 per module plus shipping. I don’t know how easy it would be to snip off the excess bracket depth.

Wondering if there might be other pre-fab options available, or if it’s a pretty easy matter to just buy sheet metal and bend and drill my own brackets.

What would you do for mounting brackets?

InterstellarObscure

Ok, this looks like a good option if I can’t find or manufacture a practical one piece L-bracket.
I was looking at a photo of one of your tube modules after posing my question and noticed how solid and sturdy it appears. Thanks for the link.

shabtek

if you build more than 1 it might make sense to adhere to or borrow from an established standard, even adding 1/2 top and bottom to a 3u standard. CAPI used to sell an L bracket for 500/51x, eurocard is similar,  schroff vme  might have parts you can use

Latest posts