Philicorda

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ward

Hi all and happy holidays.

I bought a beautifull Philicorda on the flea market.
Of course the thing was not working when I arrived home with it.
If you don't know what I'm talking about ...
http://www.combo-organ.com/Philips/index.htm
this is the one.

According to what I read here, I have the 751 version with tubes,
the only thing with transistors is the poweramp.

I opened it up, no obvious defects, fuses are good, no loose cables, ...
But, none of the ECC83 tubes glows.
I checked that and they don't get any heater current.
Luckily I found the service manual on the internet.
You can find it here...
http://egrefin.free.fr/images/Philicorda/PhilicordaGM751.pdf

Is there someone that would like to help me trace the faults in this thing ??

I did some measuring and in my opinion the supply is faulty, but maybe I measured wrong.. Should I disconnect it from the rest of the circuit to have a good reading ?
(I'll post my readings later, photobucket is giving me trouble)

I think I should start at the beginning and check the powertransfo but I don't fully understand the pinout.

thanks
ward
[/url]

Hi Ward,

If the schematic correspond with this organ you have, there are two 6,3A fuses Z1 and Z2 on the PSU, that you can find in page 10.

Check them first of all.

--Bo

Thanks Bo,

I think I checked all the fuses, but the schematic has four while I think I only saw three ??
I'll recheck it this evening.

Here are some voltages I measured on the power suply, section S-N, page 22 of the service manual.
http://groupdiy.twin-x.com/displayimage.php?pos=-665
Some are good but not all.
The EL82 gets heater current, but possibly from another transfowinding? (as there are two heaterwindings.)

I think (correct me please) I should first try to identify which windings are 6,3V on the powertransfo. But the drawing on page 11 is very difficult to see clear.

Stupid me,
I hadn't read the datasheets.
And didn't know that the ECC83 can be heated on pin9 - pin4&5.

So it could still be the tubes that are faulty too.

I got it to work.
Thanks for the advice Bo, it turned out you were right.
It had two faults,
the fuses were good when checked outside of their holder but one of them gave a bad contact.

And the switch that puts the organ in headphone-(wich mutes the output) was defect.
So it gives sound, and I like it.

Some keys don't work but I hope to fix that with a little cleaning.

question? Is it normal/ok that the heater wires on some of the tubes light up very heavy for half a second. They go normal after that.

> Is it normal/ok that the heater wires on some of the tubes light up very heavy for half a second.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like a broken record (hmmm, that's an old analogy), but this "flashing heater" thing seems to bother EVERYBODY born after 1955 (and a few older folks who didn't stick their noses in the back of the radio). Tubes DO that. It doesn't hurt.

HELLO FRIENDS
AM NEW HERE AND I WOULD APPRECIATE YR HELP

I HAVE A PHILICORDA 754 EARLY 70S MODEL

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT CABLE TO USE AND WHERE TO CONNCET THE ORGAN SO AS TO PLAY FROM A POWER MIXER CONSOLE

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Latest posts

Back