Phoenix systems flanger

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxDM

One of the two Fisher brothers (Roger... later scraped out of the band by the girls), built a delay line flanger from a kit I published in 1976. I recall in the late '70s taking his phone call when he asked me if I knew who Heart was (after dreamboat annie album was already charting) I pretended to play it cool, but I knew who they were. ::)

This article/link even mentions my flanger kit... Roger Fisher’s ‘Barracuda’ Gear (and Other Tidbits) : WoodyTone!

So I am not making this sh__ up. My $39 Phoenix Systems kit flanger was used on Barracuda recording. 8)

JR

I was wondering if you had schematics of the design, or could tell us about the basic operation of it?

DId it use pre-emphasis and de-emphasis?

Did it use aliasing filters, and if so what kind?

Which BBD chip did it use?

Cheers,

I was wondering if you had schematics of the design, or could tell us about the basic operation of it?
the kit design was published in a cover article for Popular Electronics in 1976 (July IIRC). Simple BBD delay
DId it use pre-emphasis and de-emphasis?
no
Did it use aliasing filters, and if so what kind?
probably 2 pole active LPF before and another maybe 3 poles after the BBD. Most likely Butterworth alignment
Which BBD chip did it use?
matsushita (Panasonic) MN3001
I'll look around later to see if I have a scan

JR

product-72125.jpg

Oops it was june issue. The $59 kit was stereo, the flanger was based on the $39 mono version.

The computer with all my scans lost it's hard drive about 6 months ago.

here is link to full june issue with my article inside. jun 1976 poptronics

JR

Back