PM-1000 troubleshooting - resistor fried/replaced, just a few questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrandall

Hi all,

This is one of my first posts here but I'd like to say thank you right off the bat for all of the old posts on the PM-1000s. Lots of fun researching and reading, building my power supply, chopping up the modules, etc etc. I recapped one and tested it and it sounds great. Recapped the second one today, and made a mistake and now I am trying to figure this out.

- I installed my C6 cap backwards and did not catch it. I powered it up and the 22 ohm resistor right after it in the schematic went up in smoke. Whoops!  :mad:

- I pulled another 22 ohm resistor off of another board, and made sure to measure it with my meter. I installed it and a new C6 cap and powered it all up. Just a bunch of hum, and noise. the low freq knob does introduce more low end to the hum, same with the mids. When I turn the "treble" knob up past a certain point, and my re-wired "echo 2" knob (now serving as my output volume) is up high, a really loud pop followed by a loud hum is introduced.

- If I power the module down, but leave it plugged into the wall, I can then hear signal coming from my mic into my interface (tapping, saying CHECK really loud). It's only when the channel strip is powered on that it is not working.

- I posted a picture showing the resistor that I fried. I am wondering if maybe I also messed up the transistor that is between the C6 Cap and the resistor. If this is the case, am I able to steal one from an unused section of the board and swap them out? If not, and I need to order a new one, I may as well swap them out. What is the best one to use? The one I saw referenced on digitaldrummer.net isn't available at mouser any more.

Thanks for any help! 
Randy

open

hey all,

I'm guessing everyone's sick of PM-1000 stuff. I'm bumping just to see if someone knows the answer to one question I have:

Why would I hear signal from my mic when the channel is powered down (but still plugged in to the wall) and only hum and noise when it is turned on?

Thanks, I thought I'd just try this one bump. Appreciate it!

No... Do you have an o scope? Do you have a tone generator? If so plug a 1K sine wave into the unit and trace  until you get to that part not working then replace it.

Back