PM 1000 wiring question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmorris74

GDIY Supporter
Hi gang,

I recapping and racking 2 PM 1000 modules. Mine are a little different than the ones in the pics posted everywhere else, so I have a couple of questions about how to hook them up.

First, where is the other ends of the wire going to echo pot 2 attached. See pic below:
pm-1000-inside.jpg

Also, towards the edge of the board there are two black wires side by side. I know one is negative connection to the power supply. Where is the other connected?

Thanks,
Craig

hi craig,

[quote author="craigmorris74"]I recapping and racking 2 PM 1000 modules. Mine are a little different than the ones in the pics posted everywhere else, so I have a couple of questions about how to hook them up.[/quote]

do yours have switches on the echo sends? if so you can easily bypass them if you don't want them in there. they are helpful if you are using them in the console.

First, where is the other ends of the wire going to echo pot 2 attached.

in the pic below you'll see 2 columns of solder "cups" or terminals in the middle of that little eq pcb. the yellow wire goes to the 2nd terminal from the top in the column to the left in the pic. on my modules, the wire above that one is orange and the one below is another yellow. the shield doesn't attach to anything on that end.

Also, towards the edge of the board there are two black wires side by side. I know one is negative connection to the power supply. Where is the other connected?

if you are talking about the left-most of the 3 pairs of solder cups in the top right in your pic, then both attach to the ground plane. so you can use either or both depending on your grounding scheme.

hope this helps.

ps: for future reference (in case the pic goes away) the pic shows the module laying component side up with the pots facing toward the reader.

do yours have switches on the echo sends? if so you can easily bypass them if you don't want them in there. they are helpful if you are using them in the console.
Yes, it has the switches on the sends and a switch between the fader and input switch.
in the pic below you'll see 2 columns of solder "cups" or terminals in the middle of that little eq pcb. the yellow wire goes to the 2nd terminal from the top in the column to the left in the pic. on my modules, the wire above that one is orange and the one below is another yellow. the shield doesn't attach to anything on that end.
OK, that's the main thing I needed, thanks.
if you are talking about the left-most of the 3 pairs of solder cups in the top right in your pic, then both attach to the ground plane. so you can use either or both depending on your grounding scheme.
Yes, those are the ones I was talking about.

Donny, thanks so much for your reply.

Craig

[quote author="craigmorris74"]
Yes, it has the switches on the sends and a switch between the fader and input switch.[/quote]

ok, i'll send you a closeup of a normal module to help you sort that out. i think i have your email still...

Ah yes, I'd recognize my sloppy wiring anywhere - and the M3 bolt holding the perfboard diode-voltage-dropper in place is a dead giveaway. :wink:

It's been a while since I did that, but I believe that the yellow wire was originally attached to the fader. I used the "echo 2" pot in place of the fader, so I just moved the wire and connected the "output" (the wiper) of the echo pot to where the output wire from the fader had been connected.

Not sure which black wires you're referring to... bottom right edge, maybe? I think that those are the grounds (bottom of the voltage divider) for a couple of pots. There are a fair number of wiring points on the board that are connected to ground.

Scott,

Hope you didn't mind me using you picture. It was already so neatly put together though.

The black wire I was referring to is going to your perfboard I believe. You only have one wire. Others that I've seen have a black wire next to it going somewhere else. These wires are opposite the pots.

Craig

[quote author="craigmorris74"]The black wire I was referring to is going to your perfboard I believe. You only have one wire. Others that I've seen have a black wire next to it going somewhere else. These wires are opposite the pots.
Craig[/quote]

craig, check your email. on my pm1k's i use the other tab to connect the ground plane to the module frame. these are normally not connected but it seems i always get ground noise if i don't do this. remember in the console the module frames lay in the WOOD frame, but in a rack box the frame does touch the chassis.
as scott said, there are several points you can use to access the ground plane. anything marked "E" on the solder side of the pcb is a ground point. you can also easily see the ground plane on the solder side of the module (it goes all around the outside edge) and trace it to an open tab.

good luck!

[quote author="craigmorris74"]
The black wire I was referring to is going to your perfboard I believe. You only have one wire. Others that I've seen have a black wire next to it going somewhere else. These wires are opposite the pots.
[/quote]

The perfboard has three black wires - one to the ground on each module, and the third wire goes to the PSU ground.

The modules are grounded to the chassis through the 1/4" outputs on the back - that's the only place where they are connected to the chassis.

Latest posts

Back