Poor Man's 660 Progress Report

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

normal_PM661.JPG

Been working on it steady. First I hand wound the power transformer, then made up a discrete regulator which outputs (2) B+ voltages. I used a three terminal chip to regulate the sidechain bias voltage. Heater is not stabilized, just rectified and sent to 44,000uF. So far everything is working as predicted. I could finish it tonight, but what would I do tomorrow.

analag

[quote author="Mailliw"]Poor men definitely don't use Solen film capacitors! :p

Nice work, I look forward to hearing this!

William[/quote]
I love them and I always keep a few around.
I'm building up the rotory switches now, more drilling tomorrow...this is more work than fun at this stage.

analag

So who said it was only a computer model? :razz:

Look forward to hear how it turns out.

Keep up the good work!

[quote author="tardishead"]hey Analag that looks awesome. What tubes are you going to use and what sidechain?[/quote]

6BZ8 for Mu and 5687WA in the sidechain amp.

All drilling is done...front panel, back panel are all set. No graphics on this one, I have a co-worker who does that sort of thing, so eventually I will have him hook me up. I will post some more pic later, hopefully.
Me tease, Svart...naahh.
icon_wink.gif

analag

If everything works out like I hope, I have a very special testiing lined up for it. As long as our esteemed fellow forum member wasn't joking. If not I'll go with plan B.

analag

662.JPG

I'm a veroboard mechanic...I love it. And I do the underside PC board style. It's a pain in the ass to do, still I do it. Later I'll post a pic of the underside.
Handwound bro...slow but neat. Insulation varnish and all.

analag

Analag,

Hey, I know I'm one of the guys who busted your chops a bit when you first arrived, but you've toned it down and have shared a lot of interesting stuff here since those days. I still get a little tweaked by the 'tude sometimes, but I really do appreciate you sharing your work. This project looks cool--can't wait to hear some samples.

Next time you wind one of those power toroids could you take a few snaps along the way to show us how you do it? I've wound a couple of simple 2503ish output transformers and am curious about those big honkin' toroids you've done.

Cheers,
A P

This is a matter of blind faith, knowing ridicule is right around the corner. Nevertheless I push on.
icon_wink.gif

analag

[quote author="analag"]This is a matter of blind faith, knowing ridicule is right around the corner. Nevertheless I push on.
icon_wink.gif

analag[/quote]

Even if it didn't come out exactly sounding the same, do you doubt that it will sound good? If it sounds good or even great, there will be no ridicule involved. Sim or no sim! :green:

Matt

Back