Poor Man's Tube Gain Make Up Stage

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
skeeler87 said:
Hey Guys!

So I'm building a 2ch pultec eq with the PMEQP1A Mk2 boards and I'm thinking of using this circuit for make up gain. However, I've never worked with tubes before. Do you guys think this would be a good first tube project for someone totally inexperienced with tubes?

Thanks!

It is very difficult to advise anyone on the best first tube project. Tubes use potentially lethal voltages so extreme care is needed during construction and test. I helped my nephew build his first tube project  some years ago and after that I felt he was knowledgeable enough to go it alone so finding someone experienced to help you with your first project might be a good idea. Having said that, I am sure there are plenty of groupDIY members who have been through the "first tube project" experience who can give you much better guidance. After all, I built my first tube project back in 1960.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks very much!

I think I'll wait and go ahead with TL072 based make up gain until I feel better about working with high voltages.

skeeler87 said:
Thanks very much!

I think I'll wait and go ahead with TL072 based make up gain until I feel better about working with high voltages.

There has been some further discussion on more modern and more capable alternatives to the TL072. Probably the best are the OPA2134 and the TLE2072.  See this thread for more details:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=62806.msg795680#msg795680

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back