Popped in to say hi - new forum looks pretty slick!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viitalahde

Any old farts from the past around? I don't think I've written here for years and years. Occasionally I check on something and that's it.

My DIY stuff has been bit of on and off and it's difficult to find the time. My most recent build is a transfer console for a Scully lathe I'm working on. It's based on the KA Electronics boards. Next up is his phono transfer system. console.jpg

Time flies pretty fast! I bet there are still a few people who remember the open riot when people left recording.org and came here. That's almost 20 years ago I believe.

Good to see you Jaakko! Hope you are doing fine.
I don't visit this place as often now as I used to either. I sure miss the good old days when this place was more about understanding how things work rather than everybody trying to sell clones of everything imaginable. But everything has its time.

Hey hey, familar names here! Good to see you guys.

Kvintus, I understand your point about clones. Two sides on this coin, as always. Kits definitely lower the bar to build something, and give you instant gratification of building something that actually works. None of my first hack-jobs from 20 years ago are still alive. The next step is modifying something, and from there's it's a small leap to put together something that isn't readily available.

Times change, back in the 70s I operated a hifi kit business, but assembling kits back then was a cost effective way to get audio equipment by providing your own labor. In the decades since then automation and mass manufacturing have completely gutted the cost/benefit of building conventional kits to save money (ask Heathkit where that $100M market went).

Clones are a different animal and I can't say I completely understand the attraction.

JR

Hi, the new format does look pretty slick. I got some daily updates of recent posts, that seems like a new feature but I just turned it off I think. I don't get on here much, most of my recent projects are non-audio.

I started receiving weird collated emails of "forum recent activity" this week and thought something must have changed here on the forum.

And oh boy they sure have! Also popped in to say hi.

Well hello guys, I sure remember Pucho & Kingston from the past!

I just went through my old PCB's that are still remaining to be unpopulated. Too many projects. The Forssell opto comp is still the biggest mystery to me. Some day I'll build it and find it out.

I´m sure you don´t remember me but I was here, Favio, Kevin, etc classic guys that we rarely see them anymore. Bcarso, Igor and other that are not anymore with us. time Flies!

Jaakko, I still remember the pictures from your mastering room built. Great to see that you and your business are still going strong.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back