Possible DIY (sort of...) powered speaker project?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurtZHP

I've come into a pair of old Polk Audio Monitor 5 speakers.  They work great, but they are cosmetically rough.  Pretty beat up looking from their tenure as production room monitors in a radio station.

I was tossing around the idea of putting a small mono amplifier in each cabinet to create a pair of powered monitors.  Just spit-balling at this point.  Didn't want to design anything.  Are there kits, or even just designs with available PCB layouts, that would work?

More aggravation than it's worth?

One of my side projects is to mount 6 channels of Bruno Putzey's class D amps into an old AV amp chassis. This project is unfinished but in the queue. The amp modules I already sourced are pretty slick... They have their own switching PS so accept mains voltage and are small..

JR

I think Parts Express have recessable amp kits specific for your needs.  'Course ebay has tons of small-factor speaker amp cards as well.

JohnRoberts said:
One of my side projects is to mount 6 channels of Bruno Putzey's class D amps into an old AV amp chassis. This project is unfinished but in the queue. The amp modules I already sourced are pretty slick... They have their own switching PS so accept mains voltage and are small..

JR

Can you give me a link to what modules you found?

CurtZHP said:
Can you give me a link to what modules you found?

https://www.diyclassd.com/product/ucd34mp/26
r_300_148.66666666667_producten_ucd34mp.jpg

UcD34MP
4x 70W @ 4 Ohm

and
r_300_157.5_producten_1_ucd32mp.jpg

UcD32MP
2x 30W @ 4 Ohm

Apparently the 2x30W is now obsolete so no longer available.

I ordered the cable sets because they use a number of audio i/o connectors that were difficult for me to source.

I need to get back on this project (modest 6 channel system for my living room). The amps have been sitting around for a couple months.

========

They also make a series of plate amplifiers that may be better for your application.

https://www.diyclassd.com/plate-amplifiers/

I haven't fired mine up yet, but Bruno Putzey is well respected for his audio design chops.

JR

Latest posts

Back