Possible EMT MM-40 console and PSI2860 advice needed.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucer

Hello,
My first post, well... almost.

Anyway, some time ago I bought a bunch of EMT modules late eighties era, dreaming of a good sounding analog console.
They were really dirty, eaten by mice (nibbled cabling), broken parts, missing knob caps, fader knobs.. etc, but enough in number to build a small sixteen channels console.
So during the last year I tried to expand my basic knowledge of electronic and try to fix them.

It turned out the situation wasn't so grim after all, with some fixing and by using the supply lines of an old Avid 888 I managed to power and listen to most of them.

I didn't even know the existence of EMT consoles before the purchase so I guess  I've been lucky because to my ears, as it's been already described in other posts,  the sound of the Mic/line input modules (A411) is neat, defined and yet not sterile or thin sounding.

Some pictures:
A411.jpg

A412a.jpg

A413c.jpg

From the schematics I've gathered online the console will need the usual +/-15v, and 48v but also 24v to power about 32 relays and maybe something else.

To that end I kept an eye in the used market and bought a DDA PSU, the PSI2860.
It roughly consist of a couple of 723 for the +/- 17v lines (4 ampere in the manual, 6A written on the chassis, either case should be enough),  TL783C regulating the phantom power and (up right in the schematics) a "power on delay trigger" circuit that I think is delaying possible relays connected to another power line of unspecified voltage.

My idea is to leave that circuit alone, desolder it from the connector, put another small transformer  (1A should be enough) and relative regulation circuit inside the PSU chassis to generate the 24v and use the freed connector's pin.
What do you think, a good plan?
Also, the DDA manual states: "Always connect the power supply to the console and electricity supply before switching on."
Why?
Is there the risk of blowing things up just powering the PSU without connecting it to anything?
Am I missing something here?

psi2860_schem.jpg

Thanks in advance, I've already learned a lot from you guys  :)

Lucer

Latest posts

Back