• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Potential Group buy for Iron Age Audioworks TA7136 7 pin SIL footprint Opamps for vintage yamaha mixers such as the pm430

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb5191

I wanted to gauge potential interest in discrete opamps from Iron Age Audioworks that are adapted to the 7 pin SIL format to specifically replace the TA7136 opamps found in some vintage audio mixers. Modding the mixers such as the PM430 is pretty popular and many folks look at upgrading these opamps which becomes a challenge due to their obsolete format. This group buy would give you plug and play discrete opamps that you can solder in place of the TA7136.

What is the info on quantity and price? I have a number of Yamaha mixers (Dog help me!!!) so I might be interested.

I still need to iron out the details with Matt but the minimum order quantity will be 20 pieces. I'm in for at least 4 but possibly more Price will be slightly north of $150 for the 20 pieces. (sorry, I don't have an exact price). But, I would assume the final price would be $8-10 per unit. I had a hard time understanding exactly what he was saying but I asked if this was the price for a "complete opamp / adapter assembly" and he said "yes", but that seems way cheap for a DOA so I'm assuming this is just the adapted PCB and then the cost of the opamp will be on top of that (it seems all his opamp models are $25 a pop). We just started the email chain during business hours today so I should know more tomorrow or maybe he'll chime in here potentially.

Cool, I'll update as I know more. I was thinking of just replacing the input receiver right after the transformer and leaving the 7316 between the volume and pan to keep some of the classic pm430 character. Hopefully a nice balance between punch and clarity and funk and grunge. These yamaha mixers are super fun.

I would be interested, I have a PM430 that I am planning to do some mods on at some point. I haven't done any in-depth research/preparation yet - is there one TA7136 for each input channel?

I would be interested, I have a PM430 that I am planning to do some mods on at some point. I haven't done any in-depth research/preparation yet - is there one TA7136 for each input channel?
There's 2 7136 per channel. Appears to be the input receiver and fader buffer.

Here's the latest from Matt:

"
If I have to make them turn-key (with pins) they’ll be $25 each.

If you solder the pins and output transistors yourself they’ll be much less. "

up for a bit of soldering? This seems really reasonable and generous. So, who's in?

Yes, an interesting option as well, especially if you want to solder up your own and choose your own dual opamp. It would be a different kind of color than what the iron age setups would provide. Also good for driving diy direct outs.

Last edited:
If one wants to go to the trouble of replacing the sip opamps, I wonder if a DOA footprint could fit too? I'd probably just rather breadboard something like that, though, if it were going to be very expensive.

Yamaha pm-180 also uses the TA7136 at ~ +/-22V. The Yamaha PM-430 uses it at +/-15V. Other Yamaha mixers use different 7 pin SIL at even different voltages (Yamaha m512 uses TA7322P at +/- 25V) Might be worth creating a discrete op with alternate part values to fit the different voltages. Or not! Just throwing that out there. I have a m512 and a pm180 about to hit my bench.

If one wants to go to the trouble of replacing the sip opamps, I wonder if a DOA footprint could fit too? I'd probably just rather breadboard something like that, though, if it were going to be very expensive.

The iron age opamps are DOA's

Yamaha pm-180 also uses the TA7136 at ~ +/-22V. The Yamaha PM-430 uses it at +/-15V. Other Yamaha mixers use different 7 pin SIL at even different voltages (Yamaha m512 uses TA7322P at +/- 25V) Might be worth creating a discrete op with alternate part values to fit the different voltages. Or not! Just throwing that out there. I have a m512 and a pm180 about to hit my bench.
The PM-180 does not run the 7136 at +/- 22V. There are 2.2k dropping resistors before the two opamps. 7136 absolute maximum rating is +-/20V. I may try running them at +/- 18V if I replace the dropping resistors in the power supply with regulators in my pm430.

Cool. Thanks for that. That's why I added the "~". My point was that there may be more options for your discrete op-amp if a few voltages were spec'd. I DIY, so I was just commenting.

Regarding the option of soldering the pins and 2 output transformers yourself, the cost per piece will only end up being around $5 per piece. The minimum order quantity will be 45. I will take 10 pieces. That means the remaining 35 must spoken for for this to go through. I will handle distribution for a reasonable cost of shipping. Please let me know who is interested; I would love to move forward with this.

Back