Power supply on left side of case ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably because many guitar players refer to the jack socket on the guitar as "input". :confused:

Most of the musicians I know call a Female Jack an input, because they will insert there a cable, so for them insertion is "input". Wrongly, they don't call it by the audio signal flow.

Most people also call the Headphone Amplifier jack output an input, same reason , because they input (insert) there a TRS Jack.

Also people call a TRS Jack a "Stereo Jack", when it's just a connector with 3 contacts, it can be used for mono or stereo signals, or any other duty that needs 3 contacts.
An audio signal can be mono or stereo, balanced or unbalance, but a connector is never stereo/mono balanced or not, it's just a connector with certain number of contacts.

The same for cables, musicians call it a "Mono" cable or a "Stereo cable"....

Well I have this problem every year in my classes, all the students do this mistakes, and they have an hard time to chance for the correct terms and to actually follow the signal flow of an audio signal.
But I do my best to push them into understanding the correct terms

Not true, cable is not routed behind your body,
with cable leaving your guitar on the right, and cable getting into the pedal on the right side , the cable goes to your right side and not behing your body. That's what usually is done actually and makes sense.
Even in Left hand player the cable doesn't go behind the body also, is leaves on the left, goes to the side, goes in front of all the pedals until it reaches the first pedal right side.

You want to leave the floor in front of you and behing you free for you to move and be trapped in any cable
Nowadays, they just buy a cheap wireless system and jam my wi-fi signal so i can't stand next to them while setting the monitors. :rolleyes:

Generally I like the idea that just because some thing gets inserted does NOT make it male :)

XLR is an exception in that the female/male here indicates in/out -- never ceases to confuse me, although xlr cables too are just wires.

XLR is an exception in that the female/male here indicates in/out -- never ceases to confuse me, although xlr cables too are just wires.
It was not always the case.
In Germany there were a nummer of products where input sockets were male and outputs female, based on teh same consideration as power connectors.
AKG BX20 is one example.

Latest posts

Back