Power transformer voltage - is a load required for secondary voltage measurement?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capacitorless

I think this subforum is more for stuff like microphone, interstage and output iron, but I have a mundane/newbie power transformer question.

Can I supply wall (115vac here) on the primary, connect to the secondary with a (in this case, low end) meter, and get a reasonably accurate measurement of the secondary? Or, is a load of some kind and/or good quality meter usually a requirement?

Typically, I would measure in a completed circuit, but that would take quite a bit of work, and I have a reasonably large number (read: pile of old chassis) of transformers to measure as well. I don't need current, since I'll be de-rating whatever I have, based on the original tube complement. Anyone been down this road before?

The chassis in question is a Hammond type G as found in a 40's era DR20 cabinet, but I would like to know how to estimate this empirically.

Edit: would a simple rectifier (either a pair of diodes or full wave bridge) and a RC filter, with a small value resistor to convert to DC be any more useful/accurate? Just looking for simplicity.

Last edited:
The type of rectification you choose will change your DC reading, as may load. You can measure your secondary straight from the wall (put an appropriate fuse inline). I am sure one of the smarter guys can give you better info. Any meter should be decent enough here. I would probably rig up a little cord with an inline switch and inline fuse I guess, and some alligator clips on one side and a wall plug on the other.

Back