Power up old LYREC tape machine

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joakimkarlthomas

Im soon about to pick up a 24 ch Lyrec tape machine. The machine have not been in use for the past 25 years, probably not even powered on. Any tips of what to think off before powering up old electronics for the first time in that many years?

Power supply electrolytics, tp begin with. If possible, especially with a linear power supply, you'd want to power that up slowly with a Variac, or at least through a series lightbulb (the tungsten filament ones), 100-150W.

Power supply electrolytics, tp begin with. If possible, especially with a linear power supply, you'd want to power that up slowly with a Variac, or at least through a series lightbulb (the tungsten filament ones), 100-150W.
Thanks! I have a variable PS, but only 0-30V AC. I guess I need one that goes to higher voltage?

If worried you could bring the machine up to voltage slowly using a variac. Alternately maybe wire a 100W incandescent light bulb in series with the line cord to act as a crude current limiter.

Good Luck

JR

Im soon about to pick up a 24 ch Lyrec tape machine. The machine have not been in use for the past 25 years, probably not even powered on. Any tips of what to think off before powering up old electronics for the first time in that many years?
If you have powered up the machine and it is running, don't forget to lubricate the bearing at the very top of the capstan.

Attachments

• Lyrec-capstan-oil.jpg
    Lyrec-capstan-oil.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 28
Thanks! I have a variable PS, but only 0-30V AC. I guess I need one that goes to higher voltage?
Caution! Your variable PS delivers DC current. The Lyrec machine expects AC current. Don't try to power it with a variable DC power source. You need a variable transformer (variac) or use the light-bulb trick (harder and harder to find incandescent bulbs).
+1 for lubrication.
Will you have the service manual? There should be a chapter about preventative or routine maintenance.
I suggest you buy a small tube of vaseline to put on the rubber parts that may desagregate or stick.
Make sure that everything that is supposed to turn or roll is doing so freely (spool motors won't turn freely because of the brakes, though).

Will you have the service manual?
My advice is unless you have the service manual don’t turn it on. There is close to zero chance it will work. Without a service manual there is about zero chance of fixing it. I’d study the service manual until you feel familiar with it. Then turn it on.

Caution! Your variable PS delivers DC current. The Lyrec machine expects AC current. Don't try to power it with a variable DC power source. You need a variable transformer (variac) or use the light-bulb trick (harder and harder to find incandescent bulbs).
+1 for lubrication.
Will you have the service manual? There should be a chapter about preventative or routine maintenance.
I suggest you buy a small tube of vaseline to put on the rubber parts that may desagregate or stick.
Make sure that everything that is supposed to turn or roll is doing so freely (spool motors won't turn freely because of the brakes, though).

Checked again, you're right! The 0-30V was DC, although it also has output for 3, 6 and 12 V AC. Will have a look around for a variac. And the service manual of course. Thanks for your advices!

My advice is unless you have the service manual don’t turn it on. There is close to zero chance it will work. Without a service manual there is about zero chance of fixing it. I’d study the service manual until you feel familiar with it. Then turn it on.
Will certainly look for a service manual. Thanks for your advice!

First job I would say is clean the entire machine , pull the cards , hoover up dust , wipe down everything until its spotless ,examine everything as you go for obvious faults , loose linkages nuts bolts and screws etc . Double check your capstan lube is compatible with whats already in there . Good advice from Abbey and Gold , follow the long game service procedure in the manual , once you have taken care of all that , then consider applying power with due caution .

Bearings in the rollers/transport might benefit from a small drop of light machine oil , one drop at a time , work it in until they rotate freely . With a bit of luck and work the mechanical side will come right , now you can start to methodically work through the electronics .

Recap everything before you power on, there´s a guy here in Brazil with a youtube channel and he use a lots of analog tape machine, he made some video telling stories about those machines and he said once that powering up without a recap is like to put everything in a short, think what kind of damage you could do to the circuits.

You find the LYREC service manual at:
https://www.analogrules.com/manuals/strangerecorders1.html
some of them are my own scans.
If a page is missing, I can check my folders.

I have a later TR532 with ATC locator.
Thats great! Went to check the machine today before pickup tomorrow. It is a tr532 like yours. The owner had a printed service manual, but very good to know I can get one on your site aswell. Thanks a lot!

Recap everything before you power on, there´s a guy here in Brazil with a youtube channel and he use a lots of analog tape machine, he made some video telling stories about those machines and he said once that powering up without a recap is like to put everything in a short, think what kind of damage you could do to the circuits.
I probably will. Please put a link to the youtube channel, would be interesting. Thanks!

First job I would say is clean the entire machine , pull the cards , hoover up dust , wipe down everything until its spotless ,examine everything as you go for obvious faults , loose linkages nuts bolts and screws etc . Double check your capstan lube is compatible with whats already in there . Good advice from Abbey and Gold , follow the long game service procedure in the manual , once you have taken care of all that , then consider applying power with due caution .

Bearings in the rollers/transport might benefit from a small drop of light machine oil , one drop at a time , work it in until they rotate freely . With a bit of luck and work the mechanical side will come right , now you can start to methodically work through the electronics .
very good advices, thanks!

You mean the audio tape controller remote? Pickup of the machine is now done. Service manual for the ATC was also included!
No, I meant the sync amplifier. I've found it; it's on the same schemo as the playback amplifier. Actually they are identical, except for the NFB resistor, which results in 6dB more gain for the sync path, which tends to indicate the Record head has an inductance about 75% lower than the PB head.

Latest posts

Back