Presonus M80 Power Supply Transformer Specs?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's easy to replace with 2 toroid transformers, although I would modify the PSU circuit so that the Phantom supply would be taken from the 2x18V rails so that an extra separate winding, and in this case and extra transformer, wouldn't be needed.

IF you want to use 2 transformers use an 2x18V 40VA, and another 2x22V 7 VA for the phantom.
You need to connect the 2x22V secondaries in series so you get 44V.

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 04.50.35.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 04.48.42.png

I think a 40VA transformer might be too small, even though it is only an 8 channel mixer. You can get a good approximation of the power required by weighing the original (and measuring its diameter and height) - and comparing this to commercial transformers.

This has been found to give a reliable estimation - if the current required is not known.

I think a 40VA transformer might be too small, even though it is only an 8 channel mixer. You can get a good approximation of the power required by weighing the original (and measuring its diameter and height) - and comparing this to commercial transformers.

This has been found to give a reliable estimation - if the current required is not known.

The PSU uses LM317 for the rails so the consumption should be less than 1,5amps maximum, I doubt that it will need more than 40VA thats 1,1Amp per rail, but going bigger doesnt hurt, just there's no benefit of going over 60VA

Thanks is for the guidance @Whoops. I'll try this out!

You asked me by pm how to modify the PSU circuit to be able to get 48V from just one transformer.
So you need a 2x 18V transformer and need to study the schematic for the JLM ACDC PSU and check how a tripler circuit to achieve 48V was implemented, here is the schematic:

http://www.jlmaudio.com/ACDCVer2sch.pdf
As far as I can see you just need to modify your PSU this way

Presonus Tripler Circuit.png

Latest posts

Back