problems Microchip Fubarino, Arduino IDE on Uubuntu.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Analog_Fan

I have acquired a Microchip Fubarino and would like to use the Arduino IDE on Ubuntu.

https://www.fubarino.org/mini/
I have followed the in instructions written here and here
It's fully updated.

the correct board is selected.

this is what i see when i try to upload a sketch.
Copyright: (C) 2011-2015 Serge Vakulenko
2016-2017 Majenko Technologies
Programmer for Microchip PIC32 microcontrollers, Version 2.1.46

An error occurred while uploading the sketch
No target found.

i can select 2 ports:
/dev/ttyACM0
/dev/ttyS0

i can't get board info nor upload a sketch.
also configured Microchip MPLAB IDE, but also there i have a error.
MPLABX_Importer

1651654305373.png
the programmer doesn't show up under "licensed Debugger"

Any one experience with this?

To be clear, neither the Arduino IDE or MPLAB IDE can see the board?

Is it new or second hand? It sounds like the bootloader might have been overwritten.

Cheers

Ian

To be clear, neither the Arduino IDE or MPLAB IDE can see the board?

Is it new or second hand? It sounds like the bootloader might have been overwritten.

Cheers

Ian
It's new, fresh out of a red Microchip box unpacked yesterday, TCHIP011.

I had the same problem or similar problem with a Adafruit STv2 and Bluepil, doing "lsusb" in terminal it shows.

the TCHIP011 shows as : Future Technology Devices International, Ltd.
It's my first attempt using the Arduino IDE, got some more experience with the Microchip MPLAB as i own a ICD3 and ICP header.
i would like to use the Arduino "libraries" before i go back to MPLAB IDE and have to write a full bootloader, don't have expeirnece with MCU's that have USB.
I collected some rust.

i got in it programming mode now, but apparently it doesn't see it, nor does it show a programmer available in the Arduino IDE under "tools".

Looking on line it seems that MPIDE is now integrated into the mainstream Arduino IDE so that is the one you should be using. I have used the Arduino IDE quite a bit and it generally works.

I have recently updated Ubuntu to the latest LTS release. I just now installed the latest Arduino IDE. lsusb shows the arduino board I have plugged into the PC as 'Arduino SA Uno R3 (CDC ACM)'.

From the Ports menu of the Arduino IDE I have /dev/ttyACM0(Arduino Uno) and ttyS0 so it knows which port the board is plugged into. Get Board Info works as expected.

I suggest you check the specific libraries for your board are installed. Under Tools go to Manage Libraries and use the board name as a search term. This should list all the libraries that have been downloaded. Check they are all marked as installed. If not click the Install button to install them.

Cheers

ian

Looking on line it seems that MPIDE is now integrated into the mainstream Arduino IDE so that is the one you should be using. I have used the Arduino IDE quite a bit and it generally works.

I have recently updated Ubuntu to the latest LTS release. I just now installed the latest Arduino IDE. lsusb shows the arduino board I have plugged into the PC as 'Arduino SA Uno R3 (CDC ACM)'.

From the Ports menu of the Arduino IDE I have /dev/ttyACM0(Arduino Uno) and ttyS0 so it knows which port the board is plugged into. Get Board Info works as expected.

I suggest you check the specific libraries for your board are installed. Under Tools go to Manage Libraries and use the board name as a search term. This should list all the libraries that have been downloaded. Check they are all marked as installed. If not click the Install button to install them.

Cheers

ian

i have the "kit" installed via the boards manager, the library manager aint useful here (took me a while to scroll the whole, also searched), these are development libraries.

under tools --> programmer: no programmers avaiable for this board.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-05-04 15-23-40.png
    Screenshot from 2022-05-04 15-23-40.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 2
I have written thousands of lines of code using microchip but I have nothing good to say about their development tools.

JR
but it's better than many open source project for linux witch are sometimes difficult to get installed and running, it sometimes depends of stuff coming from different people/sources you have to combine.
i couldn't get the Bluepil (arm32) + Adafruit linkV2 debugger clone running on my Ubuntu. the St company doesn't seem to support Linux, sure there is a work around, but than i would be plugging my HD every other day.

But i like the Datasheets form Microchip more than ST, they are to academic, Microchip includes little code examples in them datasheet, the style.
Never had a problem with the ICD3, so far.

I've designed projects using several different family microchips, I really hate the old 8bit crapo, but the newer 16 bit stuff is much more powerful. I have even messed some with coding their DSPic but I am getting too old and tired to make more new products.

JR

I made a midi sequencer using a PIC18F452, 23LC512 SRAM (i figured that out myself, how to use it, no online asking), a 4 x 20 char lcd, rotary encoder and 74hc126 and 74hc595, midi in/out using pc900 sharp opto coupler, i designed a state machine, it's was accurate up to 999 BPM witch is the max rate of Ableton Live.

i used the Microchip picdem 2 plus board.
but bitbanging the serial shifters did cause some lag.
it was not of commercial grade, but it worked.

i also have a few PC24FJ64GA002 16 bit, but it's 3v33 while i used 5 Volt hardware.
now i have level transducers from Texas instruments and can start gain.
Want to make something like ...
1651769467876.png
an awesome VCO.

but requires smd, now i have found a company that can do SMD placement for you, www.Aislet.net.
it's just takes money.

I wanna have a go at a matching 24bit ADC and DAC fro Analog Devices, both 2 channel.

I have acquired a Microchip Fubarino and would like to use the Arduino IDE on Ubuntu.

https://www.fubarino.org/mini/
I have followed the in instructions written here and here
It's fully updated.

the correct board is selected.

this is what i see when i try to upload a sketch.

i can select 2 ports:

i can't get board info nor upload a sketch.
also configured Microchip MPLAB IDE, but also there i have a error.
MPLABX_Importer

View attachment 93525
the programmer doesn't show up under "licensed Debugger"

Any one experience with this?
Have you found the answer for your question?

highly professional WorkTime

Last edited:
Have you found the answer for your question?
think so, by accident, reviewing the "dailout" group, i found an article on stack exchange on it.

dialout group and serialport permission
sudo chmod 600 /dev/ttyACM0

after i did this and pressed "upload" to upload the Blink example, i saw this.

Programmer for Microchip PIC32 microcontrollers, Version 2.1.46
Adapter: STK500v2 Bootloader
Program area: 1d000000-1d1fffff
Processor: Bootloader
Flash memory: 2048 kbytes
Boot memory: 80 kbytes
Data: 28116 bytes
Erase: done
Program flash: ..............................############################### done
Verify flash: ..............................############################## done
Program rate: 6318 bytes per second

than i change the timing delay to 5 seconds or 5000ms and pressed upload again and indeed the flashing light slowed down.
i tried again with 50ms.

However i still don't see a programmer in the Arduino IDE, nor can i get the Board info.
the amount of flash is kinda low for a 128kB device.

than i tried this: chipkit Example PPS Sketch and i see data coming in via the Serial monitor of the Arduino IDE.
*boom*
success mapping SDI2 to 18
success mapping SDO2 to 20
SDI2R=10
RPC3R=100
SPI2STAT: 10101000
SPI2STAT: 10101000

Wololo :cool: , my first DIY USB communication.
In the QT creator IDE, if you hold down control and hoover of the included header file, you can open it (where is the file wire.h?).
the Arduino IDE doesn't seem to have something like what QT creator and Microsoft have Intellisense, something that helps your write code.

Sketch uses 30812 bytes (25%) of program storage space. Maximum is 118784 bytes.
Global variables use 7896 bytes (24%) of dynamic memory, leaving 24872 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 32768 bytes.

PIC32MX250F128D_44VTLA_44
program memory should be:128+3 KB
the data memory seems to be right, 32KB.

the chipkit example is very little code and seams to use 30KB.
I had alot more lines of code using the PIC18F452 and microchip ICD3 programmer.

Last edited:
To access serial ports on Linux (both real ones and CDC/ACM USB ones) you have to be a member of the "dialout" group (for Debian based Linux. For Arch/Manjaro it's the "uucp" group). You can add yourself to the group with:

$ sudo usermod -a -G dialout ruffrecords

Do not (I repeat, DO NOT) forget the -a flag or you will overwrite your existing groups and not be able to "sudo" again...!

You will have to reboot or log out and in again before the change will take effect.

You can also edit (as root) the file /etc/group and find the "dialout" entry and append your username to the comma separated list of users at the end of the line.

----

The bootloader for that board is quite large as it contains a USB stack in it for the CDC/ACM connection. It does have a small specific bootloader section of flash separate from the main program memory, but it's too small for the bootloader code to fit into, so a chunk of the main program flash is reserved as "overspill" space. Also a chunk is reserved for EEPROM emulation (since PIC32s don't have EEPROM) to make storing of configuration data simpler.

To access serial ports on Linux (both real ones and CDC/ACM USB ones) you have to be a member of the "dialout" group (for Debian based Linux. For Arch/Manjaro it's the "uucp" group). You can add yourself to the group with:

$ sudo usermod -a -G dialout ruffrecords

Do not (I repeat, DO NOT) forget the -a flag or you will overwrite your existing groups and not be able to "sudo" again...!

You will have to reboot or log out and in again before the change will take effect.

You can also edit (as root) the file /etc/group and find the "dialout" entry and append your username to the comma separated list of users at the end of the line.

----

The bootloader for that board is quite large as it contains a USB stack in it for the CDC/ACM connection. It does have a small specific bootloader section of flash separate from the main program memory, but it's too small for the bootloader code to fit into, so a chunk of the main program flash is reserved as "overspill" space. Also a chunk is reserved for EEPROM emulation (since PIC32s don't have EEPROM) to make storing of configuration data simpler.
i still can't find the device via MPLAB X using the chipkit sketch importer.

Unfortunately I have no clue how the sketch importer works. I've never used it, and I don't know how you would go about programming with it.

i think that happened, the i forgot or more i didn't know

i also added myself manual: /etc/group

i saw that error message when i tried to repeat that "task"

Back