Pronomic SCM-1 microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

I recently got my hands on a Pronomic SCM-1 microphone.
They are cheap, so I did not expect very much of them. (Euro 29,90, USD 38.00)

big_pronomic-scm-1_2.jpg

But to my surprise they don't sound too bad at all!
The microphones have a detachable cardiod capsule.
Internally the microphone circuit is for the main part build with SMD components.
There is an internal DC/DC converter for the polarisation voltage. (I measured 49 Volts. Yes, it is a true condenser microphone, no electret!)
Self noise is very acceptable, certainly not too high.
Inside there is a trimpot for the FET bias. I checked it and to my surprise even the bias was set correctly.
(Something I seldom see!) The only switch on the microphone is a low-cut switch.
Maybe the microphone is a little on the bright side, but certainly not over bright.
Low frequency response is good.

As far as I know they are sold in Europe by Kirstein Germany.
(And NO, I am not in any way related with Kirstein, I just thought it was good to let you know about my experiences with the SCM-1!)

...I've used these, which look to be similar, and they are quite outstanding for the price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Takstar-CM-60-Condenser-Microphone-Studio-Guitar-Bass-Audio-Recording-MIC-/121436647301?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Microphones&hash=item1c46302f85

I've also used a TakStar CM-60.  Brilliant microphone for flute, drums and even vocals  :D.  I found it a little bright too when recording flute but not too much.  It does look, feel and sound like a good quality microphone with a fully detachable capsule - presumably so that you can change the pick-up pattern with other capsules? 

I believe TakStar is a Japanese company but the CM-60 is made in China.  It does look identical to the Pronomic SCM-1.

I'm tempted to get a couple of them but i need the capsule to angle away from the body. Would it be possible to have the capsule a couple of  inches away from the body (via an extension cable ) or would an active cable with a Fet close to the capsule be required .

Schoeps used an extra FET close to the capsule in such cases.
If the distance is only a couple of inches, I would try if a piece of low capacity cable.
Say the cable has a capacity of 100 pF/meter, that would mean 10 pF for four inches.
With a capsule capacity around 30 pF (I guess), that would mean a signal loss of less than 3 dB, which may be acceptable.

Ok, i'll give it a try. 4 inches is the maximum distance. What would be a good temporary connection at each end of the cable.
If it works out to be ok should i cut off the bodies to be able to attach the capsules and make a new body to house the preamps
Thanks
francois

Latest posts

Back